Chiraq” is a word you may or may not have heard of if you’re not from the mean streets of the Windy City, Chicago.
To be specific, “Chiraq,” is a slang word from the ‘hood that became synonymous with Chicago “because of its violent history and crime rates one of Americas most dangerous cities,” according to the Urban Dictionary.
“Chiraq” is also the title of a new film from Amazon(.com) Studios to be directed by Spike Lee. TheWrap is reporting that Lee is looking to bring aboard Samuel L. Jackson, Jeremy Piven, Common and Kanye West for the production’s ensemble cast.
So far the film’s plot details have not been released, but with a name like “Chiraq,” we’ll bet anything it won’t be a musical comedy.
TheWrap goes on to point out that Common, Piven and West are all from Chicago, and are in talks for the film, but no deal is in place as of yet. However, Jackson is expected to do a cameo role.
Singers & Rappers Turned Actors
1. Alicia Keys was smokin' hot in the 2006 movie 'Smokin' Aces' and was also on 'Empire'.Source:AP 1 of 25
2. Jill Scott made her acting debut in the fourth season of 'Girlfriends.'Source:Instagram 2 of 25
3. 50 Cent lost 54 pounds in order to portray his emaciated character in the film 'All Things Fall Apart.'Source:Instagram 3 of 25
4. Snoop Dogg has become an enduring fixture on the big and small screen.4 of 25
5. Mos Def starred in 'Monster’s Ball,' '16 Blocks,' 'The Italian Job,' 'The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Be Kind Rewind' and more.5 of 25
6. LL Cool J has been in several movies and co-stars on the popular television series 'NCIS Los Angeles.'6 of 25
7. T.I. had a supporting role in 'American Gangster and was one of the lead characters in 'Takers.'7 of 25
8. DMX has parlayed his rough, rugged, and raw presence into appearances in several movies.8 of 25
9. Common has been a popular actor in films like 'Smokin' Aces' and "Just Wright.'9 of 25
10. Andre 3000 has made numerous guest appearances on television and he scored the lead role in the Jimi Hendrix biopic.10 of 25
11. Lenny Kravitz is best known for music but has done several movies and is now on the TV show 'Star.'11 of 25
12. Ludacris was in 2 Fast 2 Furious but got rave reviews for 'Crash'.12 of 25
13. Eminem turned to acting in the movie '8 Mile' which was loosely based on his life.13 of 25
14. Whitney sizzled on the silver screen in 'The Bodyguard' and 'The Preacher's Wife.'14 of 25
15. Ice-T found success in 'Law and Order SVU' as Detective Tutuola.15 of 25
16. Beyonce starred in 'Dreamgirls' and alongside Idris Alba in 'Obsessed.'Source:AP 16 of 25
17. We watched Will Smith grow up on 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' and then become a global movie star.Source:AP 17 of 25
18. Jennifer Hudson got an Oscar for 'Dreamgirls' in her very first film role.Source:PR 18 of 25
19. Ice Cube hit it big with his first major motion picture role in 'Boyz n the Hood.'Source:PR 19 of 25
20. Queen Latifah made her acting debut with a role in 'Jungle Fever.'Source:PR 20 of 25
21. Tupac Shakur starred in 'Juice' & 'Poetic Justice.'21 of 25
22. We all remember Drake from the high school TV show 'Degrassi.'22 of 25
23. Bow Wow starred in 'Bounce', 'Lottery Ticket', & 'The Fast & The Furious : Tokyo Drift'23 of 25
24. Method Man had winning roles in HBO's 'The Wire', the films 'How High' & 'Red Tails.'24 of 25
25. Nicki Minaj starred in 'Barber Shop: The Next Cut' as Draya25 of 25
(Photo Source: AP)