Born to a Japanese mother and an African-American father, Ariana Miyamoto broke new ground on March 8 when she was crowned the Miss Japan competition’s first biracial/mixed race winner!
The moment was one of a lifetime for the beautiful 20-year-old and also a historic one because of her dual racial identity. Though she is a native Japanese woman, representing her village of Sasebo in Nagasaki, Black Enterprise noted that Miyamoto was worried her “unconventional” (by traditional Japanese standards) looks wouldn’t go far in the pageant. But despite some initial hesitation, she got over her fears and came out a game-changer!
In Japanese, biracial individuals are labeled as “hafu” or “haafu” and they sometimes experience prejudice from their community. On what we’re going to call “#JapaneseTwitter, some people had even questioned if Miyamoto, as a biracial woman was “really” allowed to be called Japanese (child, someone take those naysayers to the Bay area in L.A., because the Blasians rule over there!)
But the haters will just have to fall back because she’s going to be holding it own for the country that gave us Sailor Moon (we’re still obsessed) at the next Miss Universe pageant. And thankfully, plenty of other Japanese people, many of them now fans, have been supportive of Miyamoto’s win!
15 Black Women Entrepreneurs Who Are Changing The Beauty Industry
1. Ursula Stephen, Ursula Stephen The SalonSource:Ursula Stephen Site 1 of 15
2. Jasmine Lawrence, Eden BodyWorksSource:Jasmine Lawrence Site 2 of 15
3. TriciaLee, Polish Bar BrooklynSource:Polish Bar Brooklyn 3 of 15
4. Patrice Grell-Yursik, AfrobellaSource:Afrobella Site 4 of 15
5. Myleik Teele, CurlboxSource:Curlbox Site 5 of 15
6. Karen Mitchell, True Indian HairSource:True Indian Hair Site 6 of 15
7. Sara Liz Pickett and H. Ginger Johnson, Ginger & LizSource:Ginger & Liz Site 7 of 15
8. Ashunta Sheriff, Ashunta Sheriff MakeupSource:Ashunta Sheriff Site 8 of 15
9. Taren GuySource:BET 9 of 15
10. Dana L. Hill, CocotiqueSource:Dana Hill Site 10 of 15
11. Jane Carter, Jane Carter SolutionSource:Jane Carter Site 11 of 15
12. Myrdith Leon-McCormack and Monica Promsavanh, M2M Damore Jon NailsSource:M2M Damore Jon Site 12 of 15
13. Tasha Turner and Marcia Caster, Beauty BeatboxSource:Beauty Beat Box Site 13 of 15
14. Karen Tappin-Saunderson, Karen’s Body BeautifulSource:Karens Body Beautiful 14 of 15
15. Lisa Price, Carol’s DaughterSource:Lisa Price Site 15 of 15
Ariana Miyamoto Crowned The First Biracial Winner Of The Miss Japan Pageant! [VIDEO] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com