This has got to be one on the absolute worst mistakes a funeral home can make. Imagine you have had a wonderful “Homegoing Celebration” for your beloved 81-year-old mother, only to learn days later that someone else was buried in her plot instead.

That’s what happened to Bruce Lawson from Houston, Texas, who, according to a report by KHOU11 received a call from Mabrie Memorial Mortuary saying the body of his mother was still at the funeral home.

The funeral home called to apologize and explain that workers mistook the body of Edna Lawson for another person.

“The other body was buried in Mrs. Lawson’s grave site on July 26, 2014, while Mrs. Lawson remained in our facilities, where she currently rests,” the funeral home wrote in a statement.

The grave error has since been corrected, and workers have exhumed the body, the report says, and Mrs. Lawson will be buried in her grave site next to family members within the coming days.

Lawson tells the media that he is relieved that the error has been corrected, but he is grief-stricken about having to say goodbye to his beloved mother once again. He was also a little upset that he didn’t go with a gut feeling, saying he had doubts earlier that the deceased woman was actually his mother when he arrived to identify the body before the funeral.

“I said to her, I said, it doesn’t look like my mom,” Bruce told KHOU11. “Do you think maybe you have the wrong body? Maybe it’s someone else back there? And she said we don’t make those kind of mistakes.”

So the service moved forward, with the family thinking her appearance had changed through embalming, the news station writes. And the woman was buried next to his dad, a World War II veteran, in a plot at Houston National Cemetery.

After he received the call about the error and returned to the funeral home to identify his mother a second time, he immediately recognized her.

“I said now that’s my mother,” he said in the interview.

The family is in the midst of planning a second funeral.

We can only imagine what the family of the woman they did bury must be going through.

(Video Source: KHOU 11)

12 thoughts on “Oops! Funeral Home Buries Wrong Woman! [WATCH]

1. RENO2AC on said:

This makes me wonder…My maternal grandfather died while in prison for selling cocaine. He went to prison in his 70s, and he he died a couple of years later. (Yes, he was a mess, even in his old age.) At the time he was married to a woman several years younger than my mother. His wife made the arrangements. My mother never saw the body until the day of the funeral. She contacted me later and said over and over again, “It did not look like daddy. Do you think they could have made a mistake and sent the wrong body?” Well, after reading this story, my mother may have been right. Maybe it wasn’t “daddy.”

2. seriously on said:

Sickness can change anyone looks and morticians have a hard time covering up such sicknesses and traumas of the deceased, not to mention many people do not want to see their loved ones in that condition and rely on the professionalism of funeral homes. Not to mention, during these painful times people are just not thinking of the worse cases scenario as they are already living with that in the death of a loved one. The son is not to blame…the funeral home is.

• I said it. on said:

When I was in my early 20’s I lost my father and grandmother. I did a preview with my mom for both because we wanted to make sure they looked right. You treat people how you want to be treated. You suck it up and handle business.

3. I’m with you all! no matter what you should know what your mother looked liked or have someone to view for appearance purpose don’t they usually have a previewing just for the family to make sure everything is okay? something wrong and rotten not in Denmark!come on son how you didn’t know your mother wasn’t around that much huh?betcha your there for the reading of the will! or insurance you all can remembered that! she should had raised up and slapped the living stew out of you!

4. carmen on said:

That explains why they don’t burry the dead while everyone’s still there, after everyone’s gone they ditch the body and the casket and use the grave for someone else. So how do any of us know who’s really in that grave, even after purchasing the head stone. That’s why it’s good to just cremate these days, that way you know how your money has been spent.

• I said it. on said:

I’m always perplexed when I go to a funeral and the people don’t wait for their loved ones to be lowered I to the ground. In my family we wait. Why rush off to eat? I know this isn’t an 100% assurance, but it’s better than acting unconcerned, or rushing off to the repass.

• RENO2AC on said:

A lot people find it too “final.” One of the hardest part is watching the casket being lowered. When I lost my only child, I could not bear to see it.

• I said it. on said:

I can’t imagine having to go through that. I’m sorry you had that experience.

5. Sᴛᴀʀᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴏᴍᴇ! Gʀᴇᴀᴛ ᴊᴏʙ ғᴏʀ sᴛᴜᴅᴇɴᴛs, sᴛᴀʏ-ᴀᴛ-ʜᴏᴍᴇ ᴍᴏᴍs ᴏʀ ᴀɴʏᴏɴᴇ ɴᴇᴇᴅɪɴɢ ᴀɴ ᴇxᴛʀᴀ ɪɴᴄᴏᴍᴇ… Yᴏᴜ ᴏɴʟʏ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴀ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴜᴛᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʀᴇʟɪᴀʙʟᴇ Mᴀᴋᴇ $90 ʜᴏᴜʀʟʏ ᴀɴᴅ ᴜᴘ ᴛᴏ $12000 ᴀ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜ ʙʏ ғᴏʟʟᴏᴡɪɴɢ ʟɪɴᴋ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴛᴛᴏᴍ ᴀɴᴅ sɪɢɴɪɴɢ ᴜᴘ… W­­­­W­­­­W.J­­­­O­­­­B­­­­S­­­­6000.C­­­­O­­­­M

6. I said it. on said:

How out of touch so you have to be for an entire family not to know that this was the wrong lady? I’m sure they’d seen someone they knew in a casket before and was able to recognize the person. I wonder how much time they’d spent with their mom. I have some warm beachfront property in Alaska that I want to sell them.

• msyellarose on said:

Well, sometimes it’s tough. I had a cousin to die of leukemia a few years back. He had been very ill and when I went to the funeral home during visitation hours, the room the funeral director pointed me towards had a young man lying in repose that I would not have recognized as my cousin had I not been told.

• I said it. on said:

I knew of a little boy with leukemia that died and he was swollen at the funeral home.

I still can’t imagine not being able to recognize my mom who has benn that sick because I would be at the hospital for her more than I would a friend, or cousin., which allow me to see the physical changes she had gone through.