ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A judge has postponed until September the trial of five remaining defendants charged in the hazing death of a Florida A&M University drum major to allow defense attorneys more time to prepare.
Judge Renee Roche agreed during a hearing Monday to delay it the trial that was set to begin next week until Sept. 22. Attorneys for three defendants asked the judge for a continuance, citing difficulty taking depositions of potential prosecution witnesses.
Fifteen former band members were charged with manslaughter and hazing in the November 2011 death of Robert Champion of Decatur, Georgia. Seven accepted plea deals of community service and probation for what prosecutors called minor roles.
Jessie Baskin pleaded no contest and was sentenced to a year in jail in March.
The Divine Nine: Our Favorite Celebrity Men In Fraternities
1. Terrence J and Omari HardwickSource:Instagram 1 of 20
2. Roland Martin - Alpha Phi AlphaSource:Courtesy 2 of 20
3. Jerry Rice: Phi Beta Sigma3 of 20
4. Cedric the Entertainer- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity4 of 20
5. The "Flyjock" Tom Joyner - Omega Psi Phi5 of 20
6. Hill Harper- Alpha Phi Alpha6 of 20
7. Joe Torry- Omega Psi Phi7 of 20
8. Ryan Howard- Phi Beta Sigma8 of 20
9. AJ Calloway- Omega Psi Phi9 of 20
10. Stuart Scott- Alpha Phi Alpha10 of 20
11. Michael Jordan- Omega Psi Phi11 of 20
12. Dr. Martin Luther King- Alpha Phi Alpha12 of 20
13. Marvin Sapp- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity13 of 20
14. Bill Cosby- Omega Psi Phi14 of 20
15. Lionel Richie- Alpha Phi Alpha15 of 20
16. Keenan Ivory Wayans- Alpha Phi Alpha16 of 20
17. Kurt Carr: Phi Beta Sigma17 of 20
18. Rev. Jesse Jackson- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity18 of 20
19. Montell Jordan- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity19 of 20
20. Rickey Smiley- Omega Psi Phi20 of 20
(Photo Source: AP)