CHICAGO (AP) — An operator of a Chicago public-transit train that jumped the tracks and scaled an escalator at one of nation’s busiest airports Monday may have dozed off, the president of a Chicago transit union said.
The woman said she had worked extensive overtime recently and was “extremely tired” at the time of the accident, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 308 President Robert Kelly told a news conference.
The derailment happened just before 3 a.m. Monday at the end of the Chicago Transit Authority’s Blue Line at O’Hare International Airport. The timing of the accident helped avoid an enormous disaster, as the underground Blue Line station is usually packed with travelers. More than 30 people were hurt, but none had life-threatening injuries.
A CTA supervisor and another worker near the top of the escalator said they saw the train enter at a normal rate of speed, about 15 mph, according to Kelly.
“The next thing they heard the sound (of impact) and the yelling and the screaming,” he said.
Investigators had not drawn any conclusions about the cause of the accident, National Transportation Safety Board official Tim DePaepe said Monday afternoon, but that were looking into whether faulty brakes, signals or human error were factors.
The train is designed so that if an operator becomes incapacitated and his or her hand slips off the controls, it should come to a stop. Kelly speculated that, upon impact, inertia may have thrown the operator against the hand switch, accelerating it enough to send it catapulting onto the escalator.
“I heard a ‘Boom!’ and when I got off the train, the train was all the way up the escalator,” passenger Denise Adams told reporters. “It was a lot of panic.”
The train operator, who has worked for the CTA for about a year, suffered a leg injury and has been released from the hospital. She will be interviewed by investigators Tuesday, Kelly said.
Asked by a reporter whether she may have nodded off, Kelly responded, “The indication is there. Yes.”
Kelly described the train operator after the accident as distraught, but still able to help passengers.
“She immediately got out of the cab and started asking everybody and checking to make sure that everybody was OK,” he said.
Jumping the track likely dissipated the forward movement, thus lessening the accident’s severity, said Joseph Schwieterman, a transportation expert at DePaul University.
A more abrupt stop would have slammed people more violently into the train’s seats and walls, he said.
“That was a lucky break,” he said. “A train hitting a wall at … high speed could easily have been fatal for many.”
The injured were treated at area hospitals and released. Chicago Fire Commissioner Jose Santiago said Monday morning that most were able to walk away from the wreck unaided.
Investigators will review video footage from a camera in the O’Hare station and one that was mounted on the front of the train, DePaepe said. The train will remain at the scene until the NTSB has finished some of its investigation, after which crews will remove the train and fix the damaged escalator.
CTA spokesman Brian Steele said earlier Monday the train may have been moving too fast as it approached the station and didn’t stop at a bumping post — a metal shock absorber at the end of the tracks.
Fatigue or temporary inattention have been raised as possible factors in other commuter train accidents.
In December’s train derailment that killed four people in New York, representatives of the operating engineer have said he may have lost focus at the controls in a momentary daze. A preliminary report did not mention that issue, saying excessive speed appeared to be a factor.
That accident highlighted the lack of crash-avoidance systems, or “positive train control,” which uses GPS, wireless radio and computers to monitor a train’s position. It lets dispatchers halt engines remotely if they speed or blow through stop signals.
It’s not clear such a pricey system could have helped prevent Monday’s derailment in Chicago.
“There are systems that do stop trains,” DePaepe said. “But it is usually about money. The transit agencies do the best they can.”
Monday’s accident occurred almost six months after an unoccupied Blue Line train rumbled down a track for nearly a mile and struck another train head-on at the other end of the line in September. Dozens were hurt in that incident, which prompted the CTA to make several safety changes.
While the station is closed, the CTA will bus passengers to and from O’Hare to the next station on the line.
2014 Fantastic Voyage via Instagram
1. Darrin Henson and his wife snap a flick with Charlie Wilson.1 of 100
2. Claudia Jordan loving Grand Turk on FV 14'.2 of 100
3. Shaggy on FV 14!3 of 100
4. Shaggy on FV 14!4 of 100
5. Shaggy on FV 14!5 of 100
6. The TJMS was the 'Despicable Me' crew on Mardi Gras night!6 of 100
7. Darrin Henson with Tom Joyner, Sybil Wilkes and Trey Haley7 of 100
8. Chante Moore snaps a photo with cruisers!8 of 100
9. The cruise deck is always a party!9 of 100
10. Chante Moore snapping Fantastic Voyage selfies!10 of 100
11. Claudia Jordan and Chante Moore!11 of 100
12. The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion is August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.12 of 100
13. Cathy Hughes and John Legend!13 of 100
14. Tom Joyner snaps photos with guests!14 of 100
15. M&M's during Mardi Gras night!15 of 100
16. Tom Joyner and Bobby Brown hug it out!16 of 100
17. Wendy Raquel Robinson meets guest on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!17 of 100
18. KEM meets with cruisers!18 of 100
19. Heads of State on the Fantastic Voyage 2014!19 of 100
20. 2014 Fantastic Voyage guests checking out Ford's vehicles.20 of 100
21. Bobby Brown in all white!21 of 100
22. Katt Williams brings the laughs!22 of 100
23. Katt Williams brings the laughs!23 of 100
24. Tom greets cruisers!24 of 100
25. George Clinton and a cruiser!25 of 100
26. Heads of State on the Fantastic Voyage 2014!26 of 100
27. The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion is August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.27 of 100
28. Heads of State on the Fantastic Voyage 2014!28 of 100
29. Chris Paul, Claudia Jordan, Kym Whitley and Huggy Lowdown29 of 100
30. Heads of State rock the stage!30 of 100
31. Katt Williams brings the laughs!31 of 100
32. Heads of State on the Fantastic Voyage 2014!32 of 100
33. AJ Calloway snaps photos with John Legend and Tom Joyner33 of 100
34. Claudia Jordan takes in beautiful views34 of 100
35. Comedian Damon Williams and his father35 of 100
36. Tom Joyner and Wendy Raquel Robinson!36 of 100
37. It's all about The Purple Reign!37 of 100
38. Tom Joyner and Chante Moore!38 of 100
39. Johnny Gill grabs some grub!39 of 100
40. John Legend croons for a second time on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!40 of 100
41. Rodney Perry got down with the 1920s theme!41 of 100
42. The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion is August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.42 of 100
43. Darrin Henson enjoying the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!43 of 100
44. Kid of Kid n' Play mingling with the cruisers!44 of 100
45. Claudia Jordan in her 70's gear!45 of 100
46. George Clinton and AJ Calloway!46 of 100
47. Klymaxx was ready for their late-night 2am show!47 of 100
48. AJ Calloway and wife participate in the 70s ball!48 of 100
49. The 70's Ball on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!49 of 100
50. Purple Reign!50 of 100
51. The 70's Ball on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!51 of 100
52. Slick Rick rocks the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!52 of 100
53. Robin Thicke and Tom Joyner on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!53 of 100
54. Tom Joyner representing Omega Psi Phi!54 of 100
55. George Clinton brings the funk to the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!55 of 100
56. The Bobby Brown Bar! It's a real thing!56 of 100
57. Kid from Kid n' Play snaps a photo with a cruiser!57 of 100
58. Claudia Jordan and Wendy Raquel Robinson58 of 100
59. The Force MDs on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!59 of 100
60. Wendy Raquel Robinson with cruisers!60 of 100
61. Ice Cube on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!61 of 100
62. Robin Thicke gets all hot and sweaty on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!62 of 100
63. Kym Whitley and Tom Joyner63 of 100
64. Nelly on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!64 of 100
65. Play and Chubb Rock65 of 100
66. Cruisers representing from DETROIT!66 of 100
67. Myra J and Derek J!67 of 100
68. Kym Whitley and a cruiser!68 of 100
69. New Orleans representing on the cruise!69 of 100
70. Robin Thicke jumps into the crowd at the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!70 of 100
71. Comedian Chris Paul and his wife71 of 100
72. Claudia Jordan enjoying FV 14'!72 of 100
73. AJ Calloway snaps a photo with a cruiser!73 of 100
74. Comedian Damon Williams and a cruiser!74 of 100
75. It's a party, it's a party, it's a PARTY on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!75 of 100
76. The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion is August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.76 of 100
77. Robin Thicke plays the keys on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!77 of 100
78. Play from Kid n' Play snaps a photo with a group of cruisers!78 of 100
79. Robin Thicke rocks the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!79 of 100
80. Ice Cube on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!80 of 100
81. AJ Calloway and Tom Joyner take in Robin Thicke's FV 14' performance81 of 100
82. We keep the crowd crunk on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!82 of 100
83. Comedian Rodney Perry and a cruiser!83 of 100
84. The whole ship was wobbling!84 of 100
85. Robin Thicke and Tom Joyner on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!85 of 100
86. Claudia Jordan with AJ Calloway and wife!86 of 100
87. Miami!87 of 100
88. Robin Thicke on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!88 of 100
89. Robin Thicke rocks the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!89 of 100
90. Robin Thicke jumps into the crowd at the 2014 Fantastic Voyage!90 of 100
91. Celebrity blogger Willie Moore Jr. and actress Wendy Raquel Robinson!91 of 100
92. Tom Joyner and a cruiser!92 of 100
93. Tom Joyner and J. Anthony Brown93 of 100
94. Nelly on the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!94 of 100
95. AJ Calloway and his wife!95 of 100
96. Miamia representing on the cruise!96 of 100
97. Darrin Henson and a cruiser!97 of 100
98. Robin Thicke rocks the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!98 of 100
99. Robin Thicke rocks the 2014 Fantastic Voyage stage!99 of 100
100. The 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion is August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.100 of 100