NEW YORK (AP) — Tests have confirmed there was heroin in at least some of the scores of plastic packets in the apartment where Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead, a law enforcement official said Monday, and authorities are working to determine whether the drug was mixed or tainted with anything else.
Medical examiners have not made an official determination of the cause of the 46-year-old actor’s death, but police have been investigating it as a suspected overdose. Hoffman was found in a bathroom with a syringe in his arm, law enforcement officials have said.
A few details have begun to sketch a picture of his final day and the circumstances in which he was found in his apartment in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village on Sunday. And questions have swirled about whether Hoffman’s death could be linked to a potent blend of heroin and synthetic morphine that has been tied to deaths elsewhere, though there are no official findings pointing to that scenario.
“The direction of the investigation is going to depend, in large part, on the findings of the medical examiner and the findings of the lab tests,” chief police spokesman Stephen Davis said.
An autopsy began Monday, but results weren’t expected until at least Tuesday, the city medical examiners’ office said.
A friend had spoken to Hoffman by phone around 9 p.m. Saturday, in the last contact investigators are aware of anyone having with him, a law enforcement official said. The official said the actor’s door was double-locked when his body was found around 11:30 a.m. the next day by the friend and Hoffman’s assistant.
In the apartment were at least four dozen small packets variously stamped with the ace of hearts and others with the ace of spades, two law enforcement officials said Monday. Tests of samples showed heroin in each type, one of the officials said.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to talk about the evidence gathered.
Authorities also found unused syringes, a charred spoon and various prescription medications, including a blood-pressure drug and a muscle relaxant, one of the officials said.
Stamps are common as a form of drug-world branding, and authorities make note of the ones they encounter, though they’re hardly trademarks — different producers might use the same symbol. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the ace of hearts and ace of spades stamps could lead investigators to any clues about the source of the items found in Hoffman’s apartment.
Concern has risen around the region in recent months about fentanyl, a synthetic morphine substitute roughly 100 times more powerful than morphine, being mixed with or substituted for heroin. In western Pennsylvania, 22 people died within a week last month from suspected overdoses of heroin and fentanyl, Attorney General Kathleen Kane said last week; at least a half-dozen suspected dealers have been charged there.
On New York’s Long Island, the Nassau County medical examiner’s office said Friday it was investigating several deaths initially assumed to be heroin overdoses but later found to have involved fentanyl being sold in packets stamped “24K.”
In New York City, a fentanyl-heroin blend cropped up recently in a case against a man charged last month with running a sizeable heroin and cocaine ring. In one of various alleged deals, he sold a 200-gram package of powder that later tested positive for both heroin and fentanyl, a prosecutor’s office spokeswoman said Monday.
Stolen Lives - Celebrity Accidental Deaths
1. Charmayne Maxwell1 of 23
2. Lisa LopesSource:AP 2 of 23
3. Paul WalkerSource:AP 3 of 23
4. Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat died at age 27 from a cocaine-heroin overdose. AP4 of 23
5. Whitney Houston died in February of this year at age 48 by drowning. (AP)5 of 23
6. Michael Jackson died from cardiac arrest caused from a lethal dose of propofol.6 of 23
7. Dinah Washington died at age 39 from an accidental overdose of Rx drugs. AP7 of 23
8. Gerald Levert died at age 40 of an overdose of Rx drugs. (AP)8 of 23
9. Amy Winehouse died in July of 2011 at age 27 of alcohol poisoning. (AP)9 of 23
10. Bruce Lee died in 1973 at the age of 33 from a reaction to a pain killer. (AP)10 of 23
11. Brandon Lee died in 1993 during the filming of 'The Crow' at age 28. (AP)11 of 23
12. Marilyn Monroe died in 1962 at age of 36 of a drug overdose. (AP)12 of 23
13. Jimi Hendrix died in 1970 at the age of 27 of a drug overdose. (AP)13 of 23
14. Rapper Chris Kelly of the group Kris Kross died of a suspected cocaine/heroine overdose in 2013. (AP)14 of 23
15. Russell Jones, aka Ol' Dirty Bastard, died in 2004 at age 35. (AP)15 of 23
16. Anna Nicole Smith died at age 39 from a Rx drug overdose. (AP)16 of 23
17. Rapper Chad Butler, aka Pimp C, died in 2007 at age 33 of a Rx overdose. (AP)17 of 23
18. Heath Ledger died in 2008 at age 28 of an accidental Rx overdose. (AP)18 of 23
19. Rob Pilatus of Milli Vanilli died in 1998 at age 33 of an overdose. (AP)19 of 23
20. DJ Screw's death was an accidental codeine overdose. (AP)20 of 23
21. Brittany Murphy died in 2009 at age 32 of mulitiple drug intoxication. (AP)21 of 23
22. Janis Joplin died in 1970 at the age of 27 of a herion overdose. (AP)22 of 23
23. Elvis Presley died in 1977 at age 42 of cardiac arrhythmia by years of drug use.23 of 23