JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The memorial service for former South African President Nelson Mandela on Tuesday is poised to be one of the largest such gatherings in generations with tens of thousands of local mourners and almost 100 foreign leaders expected.
South African officials say the normal seating capacity of Johannesburg’s FNB stadium of 95,000 probably won’t suffice to accommodate all mourners, and the event is broadcast live to other stadiums and venues across the country.
Many royals from Europe and elsewhere, celebrities and officials were on their way to Johannesburg Monday. The South African government said almost 100 heads of state, government and ministers have confirmed their attendance.
Here’s a selection of confirmed attendees:
— U.S. President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama as well as former presidents George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.
— U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and his predecessor Kofi Annan.
— British Prime Minister David Cameron and deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.
— French President Francois Hollande and his predecessor Nicolas Sarkozy.
— Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta.
— Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and three of his predecessors.
— Cuban President Raul Castro.
— Mexican President Pena Nieto.
— Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and three of her predecessors, including Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
— Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro.
— Japan’s Crown Prince Naruhito and former Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda.
— Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott.
— Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
— Chinese Vice President Li Yuanchao.
— Indian President Pranab Mukherjee.
— Sri Lanka’s President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
— Bangladesh’s President Abdul Hamid.
— Pakistan’s President Mamnoon Hussain.
— South Korean Prime Minister Hongwon Chung.
— Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan.
— Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta.
— Congo’s President Joseph Kabila.
— Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe.
— Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
— Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.
— Saudi-Arabia’s Deputy Prime Minister Muqrin bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
— Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
— European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso.
— European Union Council President Herman Van Rompuy.
— Top Vatican official Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana.
— German President Joachim Gauck.
— Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and Prince Felipe.
— The Netherlands’ Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans and King Willem-Alexander.
— Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt.
— Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg and Crown Prince Haakon.
— Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt and Princess Victoria.
— Belgian Prime Minister Elio di Rupo and King Philippe.
— Czech Foreign Minister Jan Kohout.
— Haiti’s Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe.
— British Model Naomi Campbell.
— Former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari and former Irish head of state Mary Robinson as part of the delegation of The Elders, a group of former statesmen which Mandela helped to launch.
— British entrepreneur Richard Branson and singer Peter Gabriel, who brought the idea of The Elders to Mandela.
30 Best Nelson Mandela Quotes
30 photos Launch gallery
1. "It always seems impossible until it is done. "-Nelson Mandela
1 of 30
2. "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination." -Nelson Mandela
2 of 30
3. "Any man or institution that tries to rob me of my dignity will lose." -Nelson Mandela
3 of 30
4. "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela
4 of 30
5. "After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb." -Nelson Mandela
5 of 30
6. "Only free men can negotiate; prisoners cannot enter into contracts. Your freedom and mind cannot be separated." -Nelson Mandela
6 of 30
7. "There can be no keener revelation of a society's soul than the way in which it treats its children." -Nelson Mandela
7 of 30
8. "In my country we go to prison first and then become President." -Nelson Mandela
8 of 30
9. "Let freedom reign. The sun never set on so glorious a human achievement." -Nelson Mandela
9 of 30
10. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." -Nelson Mandela
10 of 30
11. "I was not a messiah, but an ordinary man who had become a leader because of extraordinary circumstances."-Nelson Mandela
11 of 30
12. "If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness & Forgiveness."-Nelson Mandela
12 of 30
13. "Let there be work, bread, water and salt for all."- Nelson Mandela
13 of 30
14. "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."-Nelson Mandela
14 of 30
15. "I have retired, but if there's anything that would kill me is to wake up in the morning not knowing what to do. "-Nelson Mandela
15 of 30
16. "I stand here before you not as a prophet, but as a humble servant of you, the people."-Nelson Mandela
16 of 30
17. "Never, never and never again shall it be that this beautiful land will again experience the oppression of one by another."-Nelson Mandela
17 of 30
18. "For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."-Nelson Mandela
18 of 30
19. "Give a child love, laughter and peace, not AIDS."-Nelson Mandela
19 of 30
20. "If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner."-Nelson Mandela
20 of 30
21. "I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities."-Nelson Mandela
21 of 30
22. "I dream of the realization of the unity of Africa, whereby its leaders combine in their efforts to solve the problems of this continent. I dream of our vast deserts, of our forests, of all our great wildernesses."-Nelson Mandela
22 of 30
23. "I dream of an Africa which is in peace with itself."-Nelson Mandela
23 of 30
24. "We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right."-Nelson Mandela
24 of 30
25. "I detest racialism, because I regard it as a barbaric thing, whether it comes from a black man or a white man."-Nelson Mandela
25 of 30
26. "There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."-Nelson Mandela
26 of 30
27. "No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin or his background or his religion. People learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."- Nelson Mandela
27 of 30
28. "There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. "-Nelson Mandela
28 of 30
29. "Our human compassion binds us the one to the other - not in pity or patronizingly, but as human beings who have learnt how to turn our common suffering into hope for the future."-Nelson Mandela
29 of 30
30. "Courageous people do not fear forgiving, for the sake of peace. "-Nelson Mandela
30 of 30
Celebrities React to Nelson Mandela's Death Via Social Media
40 photos Launch gallery
1. Beyonce Instagrammed this photo with the message: "Thank you for all you have sacrificed to improve the lives of other human beings. Rest in peace."
1 of 40
2. Beyonce also Instagrammed this photo along with the message: "God Bless"
2 of 40
3. President Obama Tweeted: President Obama remembers Nelson Mandela: "A man who took history in his hands and bent the arc of the moral universe towards justice."
3 of 40
4. Rihanna Tweeted: "#NelsonMandela you made your people proud!! We'll always love you for it!"
4 of 40
5. Rihanna also Instagrammed this photo with the message: One of the greatest men who's ever lived!!! #Legend We will never forget the things this man has taught us, and we will never truly comprehend the level of strength that it took for him to endure many of his years!! Thank you #Mandela.
5 of 40
6. Queen Latifah Tweeted: "God Bless You Mr. Nelson Mandela! Your Strength, Humanity, Intelligence, Honesty and #TrueGrit are unmatched in my lifetime! RIP&Love."
6 of 40
7. Jamie Foxx Tweeted: "Thank you for your mark you left on humanity Mr. Mandela. Prayers to his family, friends and the people of South Africa."
7 of 40
8. Jennifer Lopez Tweeted: "It always seems impossible until it's done." Rest in Peace Nelson Mandela. You will be missed. #trueinspiration #peoplewhochangetheworld."
8 of 40
9. R. Kelly Tweeted: "To the Mandela family, may God keep you in perfect peace at this time. For God has chosen a soldier. "
9 of 40
10. Janelle Monae Tweeted: "1 of the most important&greatest individuals to walk on this Earth. Nelson Mandela. He walked the walk. He was 4 THE PEOPLE. Nelson Mandela."
10 of 40
11. Kerry Washington Instagrammed this photo with the message: "RIP Nelson Mandela. God Bless You."
11 of 40
12. Khloe Kardashian Tweeted: "An amazing man with great wisdom. Rest in peace Nelson Mandela."
12 of 40
13. Pitbull Tweeted: "RIP Nelson Mandela. You are now truly free. God Bless and enjoy the heavens. Tell Celia Cruz hello for me and azucaaaaarrrr"
13 of 40
14. Katie Couric Tweeted: "If people can learn to hate, they can be taught to love." - #NelsonMandela, RIP & may your words live on... "
14 of 40
15. Ludacris Tweeted: "Honored that I had a chance to meet this amazing influential being & to participate in his 46664 Aids benefit concert in South Africa. You will live on thru your work for eternity. R.I.P. Nelson Mandela."
15 of 40
16. NeNe Leakes Tweeted: "RIP Nelson Mandela"
16 of 40
17. Nas tweeted: "Thank you Nelson Mandela. All the best on your transition."
17 of 40
18. Gwyneth Paltrow Tweeted: "'Your playing small does not serve the world'. #RIPMandela"
18 of 40
19. Gabourey Sidibe Tweeted: "'The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.' -Nelson Mandela. Thank you for your bravery."
19 of 40
20. John Legend Tweeted: "What a heroic, beautiful life Mandela lived. Rest in peace."
20 of 40
21. Samuel L. Jackson Tweeted: "Never met a better person in my life than Nelson Mandela. My sympathy to his family & his country."
21 of 40
22. Charlize Theron Tweeted: "My thoughts and love go out to the Mandela family. Rest in Peace Madiba. You will be missed, but your impact on this world will live forever"
22 of 40
23. Diddy Tweeted: "Nelson Mandela has just passed away. Rest In Peace to a true revolutionary and inspiration to the World. He was 95 years old. #RIPMandela."
23 of 40
24. Diddy also Instagrammed this photo with the message: "This man stood for justice and honor!! Today we lost a beautiful soul, inspiration and a true KING! #RIPMandela."
24 of 40
25. Kendrick Lamar Tweeted: "Advising all my young ones that follow me to research a small piece of Nelson Mandela Life. That's how you pay your respect...... GO!"
25 of 40
26. Amerie Tweeted: "Rest in peace to a great, great man. The world thanks you."
26 of 40
27. Q-Tip Tweeted: "A true fighter in every sense of the word... MANDELA!"
27 of 40
28. Eva Longoria Tweeted: "Today the world lost one it's greatest leaders. Rest in peace Mandela..."
28 of 40
29. Russell Simmons Tweeted: "When people are determined they can overcome anything." Nelson Mandela."
29 of 40
30. Anderson Cooper Tweeted: "Mandela is gone. There is no one else like him."
30 of 40
31. Brian White Tweeted: "Always remembered! #RoleModel #RIP"
31 of 40
32. Tyra Banks Tweeted this photo with the message: "He lives within us forever. We will never forget. "
32 of 40
33. Talib Kweli Tweeted: "Today marks the passing of one of the greatest freedom fighters history has ever known. We love you Nelson Mandela. #ripmadiba."
33 of 40
34. Wayne Brady Tweeted: "RIP Nelson Mandela. Selfless humanitarian. Leader."
34 of 40
35. Busta Rhymes Tweeted: "RIP 2 ONE OF OUR LAST TRULY GREAT KINGS AND GOD OF OUR UNIVERSE, THE LATE GREAT NELSON MANDELA!!! I WILL 4EVER LOVE U GREAT MAN & GREAT MIND."
35 of 40
36. Fergie Tweeted: "Meeting Nelson Mandela at his house in Johannesburg was a truly memorable moment in life for me. He was an angel. "
36 of 40
37. Omarion Tweeted: "Thank you Mandela #RIPMandela rest in love."
37 of 40
38. LL Cool J Tweeted: "Nelson Mandela. What a difference one person can make. #RestEternally"
38 of 40
39. Lindsay Lohan Tweeted: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination." #RIPNelsonMandela
39 of 40
40. Luke James: "Thank You Nelson Mandela, Rest In Peace."
40 of 40