WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama says she won’t wear shorts on Air Force One again because the one time she did, it created “a huge stink.”
Treated worldwide as a style icon, the first lady addressed the issue during a taped appearance broadcast Tuesday on BET’s “106 and Park.”
Mrs. Obama was asked about her biggest fashion regret. She said she’s always happy with her outfits but that, quote, “sometimes I forget I’m the first lady and I’m running around in shorts.”
She recalled her family’s first White House vacation, to the Grand Canyon in August 2009.
Mrs. Obama said her wearing shorts getting off the plane “created a huge stink because people were like, ‘she’s wearing shorts getting off of Air Force One.'”
She said her thought was “we’re on vacation.”
The Fabulous First Lady's Firsts
13 photos Launch gallery
1. Obviously, she is the first African American First Lady in the history of the United States. (Pinterest Acct)
1 of 13
2. To promote healthy eating, she planted the first White House organic vegetable garden.
2 of 13
3. She is the first to tackle childhood obesity and form a movement to combat it: 'Let's Move' campaign.
3 of 13
4. She is the first ever to host a Kid's State Dinner at the White House.
4 of 13
5. She is the first to appear on the kiss cam at a b-ball game and get a kiss from our president.
5 of 13
6. She is the first to catapult unknown designers into stardom by wearing their fashions.
6 of 13
7. The first FLOTUS who has a fashion following, with blogs tracking her daily garment choices.(Associated Press)
7 of 13
8. She is the first to have the most fabulous (talked about) toned arms of any other first lady.
8 of 13
9. She is the first to attend a Beyonce concert.
9 of 13
10. She is the first to have a Twitter and Pinterest account.
10 of 13
11. Please comment on any 'First' you think of and we'll keep this gallery growing. (White House Flickr)
11 of 13
12. Poster nepatsgirl: 1st First Lady I am so proud of, so happy to be able to relate to and who I felt could relate to me.
12 of 13
13. Poster mrmwms: 1st Lady exercises with children from Hackney Primary promoting 'Let's Move' to combat childhood obesity.
13 of 13