Idris Elba will be featured on the October 2013 issue of GQ magazine.
His cover story will include instructions on how a man should wear a three-piece suit or look. But trust us, it gets real, real deep when Elba discusses his former marriage and the drama of dealing with a woman who lied to him about a son who wasn’t really his.
Here’s the background on that:
He was dating a woman in Florida, had been for a couple of years. They were living together and in love. She became pregnant and gave birth to a boy. For a brief moment, it was among the happiest times of Elba’s life. “The celebration of having a son—from a man’s perspective, it’s massive.” He told friends about it. He told reporters about it. Then came the suggestion—not from the child’s mother, but from elsewhere—that not everything was what it appeared to be. “It wasn’t immediately obvious—well, it was, because he didn’t look like me,” Elba says. “But it wasn’t immediately obvious what had gone down.”
Then reality set in:
“The celebration of having a son—from a man’s perspective, it’s massive.” He told friends about it. He told reporters about it. Then came the suggestion—not from the child’s mother, but from elsewhere—that not everything was what it appeared to be. “It wasn’t immediately obvious—well, it was, because he didn’t look like me,” Elba says. “But it wasn’t immediately obvious what had gone down.”
Eventually, Elba decided to take a paternity test, which showed the child wasn’t his. “To be given that and then have it taken away so harshly,” he says, “was like taking a full-on punch in the face: POW.”
“You know, the truth is—like, even admitting it, I’ll probably get laughed at for the rest of my life. But it is just tragic, and it happened.” He looks directly at me when he says this. “But I wasn’t knocked out. I stood right the fuck back up, and I ain’t aiming to take another punch in the face ever again. Do you understand what I’m saying? It happened to me. I moved on.”
Favorite Celebrity Imports
22 photos Launch gallery
1. Amethyst Amelia Kelly, better known by her stage name Iggy Azalea, is an Australian recording artist from Mullumbimby, New South Wales.
1 of 22
2. Rita Sahatçiu Ora is a British singer, songwriter and actress. Her debut studio album, Ora, debuted at number one in the United Kingdom.
2 of 22
3. Sam Smith was born in London, England and an alumnus of Youth Music Theatre UK and starred in their 2007 production of "Oh! Carol".
3 of 22
4. Boris Kodjoe is an Austrian-born German actor and former fashion model who works primarily in the States. YAY! (PR)
4 of 22
5. Singer & Actor Rihanna was born in a parish in Barbados called St. Michael. (Photos: PR)
5 of 22
6. Actor Idris Elba was born in England has found fame on both sides of the pond. (Photos: PR)
6 of 22
7. Singer Melanie Fiona is from Toronto, Canada.
7 of 22
8. Actor turned rapper, Aubrey Drake Graham was born in Toronto, Ontario. (Photos: PR)
8 of 22
9. Terri Seymour was born in England and is the American Idol correspondent for FOX 11 in LA. (PR Photos)
9 of 22
10. Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor was born in London to Nigerian parents and started acting on stage as a teenager. (Photos: PR)
10 of 22
11. Actor Wentworth Miller was born in England and is the lean, hunky star of TV's Prison Break. (Photos: PR)
11 of 22
12. London born Estelle is an English Grammy Award winning R&B singer & songwriter, rapper and record producer. (Photos: PR)
12 of 22
13. Downtown Julie Brown, born in Great Britain is an actress and former MTV VJ. She currently resides in LA. (PR Photos)
13 of 22
14. Wyclef was born in Haiti.
14 of 22
15. Naomi Campbell is a British model and was one of six models of her generation declared "supermodels" by the fashion world.
15 of 22
16. Tamia was born in Windsor, Ontario.
16 of 22
17. Taio Cruz is an English singer-songwriter, record producer, occasional rapper, and entrepreneur. (PR Photos)
17 of 22
18. Actress Thandie Newton is a British actress who has found fame on both sides of the pond. (Photos: PR)
18 of 22
19. Award winning actor and theatre director Delroy Lindo has also found fame on both sides of the pond. (PR Photos)
19 of 22
20. Supermodel Iman was born in Somalia, attended University of Nairobi where a photographer discovered her. (PR Photos)
20 of 22
21. Djimon Hounsou is a Beninese actor and model and has been nominated for two Academy Awards. (PR Photos)
21 of 22
22. Naomie Melanie Harris is an screen actress in both England and the United States. (Photo: AP)
22 of 22