TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida’s lieutenant governor has resigned because of her ties to an Internet cafe company that is now under federal investigation.
Jennifer Carroll‘s resignation was announced Wednesday, one day after she gave her resignation letter to Gov. Rick Scott. His chief of staff, Adam Hollingsworth, says her resignation was spurred by an investigation into the Allied Veterans of the World, which was once represented by Carroll.
Officials from that nonprofit Internet cafe company were recently arrested on racketeering charges. The owner was arrested Tuesday in connection to allegations that he made $290 million after supplying illegal gambling software in Florida and claiming the games’ proceeds would benefit a veterans group. Authorities also interviewed Carroll.
Carroll’s ties to the company were questioned when she was in the Legislature when she proposed a bill that would benefit Internet cafes.
Politicians Doing Time for Their Crime
1. Former Congressman William Jefferson1 of 21
2. Former Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers2 of 21
3. Former Ohio State Representative W. Carlton Weddington3 of 21
4. Sisters of corruption -Jane Orie, Joan Orie Melvin and Janine Orie4 of 21
5. Former Alabama State Representative James Thomas5 of 21
6. Former Mississippi state prosecutor and judge Bobby DeLaughter6 of 21
7. Former New York State Senator Shirley Huntley7 of 21
8. Former Governor of Illinois and golden boy Rod Blagojevich8 of 21
9. Former Prince George's County Council member Leslie Johnson9 of 21
10. Former Prince County Executive Jack B. Johnson10 of 21
11. Former Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford11 of 21
12. Former Federal District Judge Samuel B. Kent (Texas)12 of 21
13. Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin13 of 21
14. Former Trump Campaign Aide Rick Gates14 of 21
15. Former City Councilman Larry Seabrook15 of 21
16. Former New York State Senator Efrain Gonzalez16 of 21
17. Former Congressman Anthony Weiner17 of 21
18. Former Connecticut Governor John G. Rowland18 of 21
19. Former State Senator Dianne Wilkerson19 of 21
20. Former D.C. Council member Marion Barry20 of 21
21. Former Trump Campaign Aide Paul Manafort21 of 21