Whitney Houston died just hours before mentor Clive Davis’ annual Grammy party last year — and in the same hotel where she was scheduled to appear at the gala hours later.
As the one year anniversary of her death approaches, Davis has invited Whitney’s mother Cissy Houston and the rest of her family to this weekend’s pre-Grammy event in Los Angeles.
While Pat Houston and Whitney’s brother, Gary Houston, said they will attend Saturday’s event, the Houston matriarch not only declined the invitation, but also found it down right offensive.
“I got an invitation to the party — which is the most obscene thing,” Cissy told Access Hollywood at the unveiling of four new wax statues of her daughter at Madame Tussaud’s in New York City on Thursday. “I don’t know why they would want me to come to the party in which she died, you know? Unheard of.”
She added, “I guess maybe he just sent me a copy for remembrance sake.”
Cissy also said she will not attend Sunday’s Grammy ceremony, but will watch it on TV.
Regarding her relationship with Whitney’s daughter Bobbi Kristina, who recently Tweeted an angry reaction to the book Cissy recently penned about her mother,
(“I find it 2b disrespect2mymother & me being her daughter won’t tolerate it.”), Cissy said of her granddaughter: “She’s grieving. [She’s] really grieving. Bobbi Kris knows — she better know — that I love her. Anything I can do for her, I’ll be there. I wouldn’t say anything [bad] about my daughter. That’s MY daughter, whom I loved with all my heart.
“I love Krissy because she belongs to my daughter, all right?” she continued. “I think that she’s just grieving. That’s the only other thing I can say about it.”
Whitney: Remembering The Music Icon Through The Years (August 9, 1963 - February 11, 2012)
23 photos Launch gallery
1. Whitney Houston as a child with her mother Cissy Houston
Source:- 1970 - © Gary Czvekus - Retna Ltd
1 of 23
2. Whitney Houston performing live in 1986
Source:© Peter Mazel / Sunshine / Retna
2 of 23
3. Whitney Houston 1986
Source:Neil Mathews © Retna Ltd.
3 of 23
4. Whitney Houston in 1987 at the Shrine Auditorium
Source:david plastik / PR Photos
4 of 23
5. Whitney Houston and dad John in Philadelphia 1980's.
Source:© Scott Weiner / Retna Ltd.
5 of 23
6. Whitney Houston, Dion Warwick and Cissy Houston 1980's
Source:© Larry Busacca / Retna
6 of 23
7. Whitney Houston at the Grammy Awards in the 1990's
Source:© Larry Busacca / Retna UK
7 of 23
8. Whitney Houston at the American Music Awards in 1994
8 of 23
9. Whitney Houston at the Grammy's in the 1990's
9 of 23
10. Whitney Houston and then husband Bobby Brown in the 1990's
10 of 23
11. Whitney Houston mid 1990's
Source:© Busacca / Retna UK Credit all uses
11 of 23
12. Whitney Houston with her mom Cicely Houston and music titan Clive Davis in 1998.
12 of 23
13. AMFAR Season of Hope Awards Winter Garden, NYC in 1998
Source:© Retna Ltd.
13 of 23
14. The Brit. Awards London Arena 1999
Source:© Craig Barritt / Retna Ltd.
14 of 23
15. Whitney Houston in 2004 at "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" World Premiere.
15 of 23
16. Whitney Houston with Bobbi Kristina and Bobby Brown in 2004 at "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" World Premiere
16 of 23
17. Whitney Houston at Clive Davis' Grammy's Pre-Party in 2007
17 of 23
18. Whitney Houston at Clive Davis' Grammy's Pre-Party in 2008
18 of 23
19. Whitney Houston performs for Good Morning America in 2009
Source:© Derek Storm/Retna
19 of 23
20. Whitney Houston in 2010
20 of 23
21. Whitney Houston at the Grammy's Pre-Party in 2011.
21 of 23
22. Whitney Houston at the Grammy's Pre-Party in 2011.
22 of 23
23. Whitney Houston and daughter Bobbi- Kristina at the Grammy's Pre-Party in 2011.
23 of 23