Robin Roberts says her road to recovery will bring her back to the “Good Morning America” anchor desk within a matter of “weeks.”
Appearing from her home on the show this morning (Jan. 14), Roberts wore a broad smile as she announced that her most recent bone marrow test showed no sign of the life-threatening ailment that has kept her off the air for months. This means she can begin the process of returning to the anchor chair.
She calls it “coming home” and says she hopes to be back on the air “in weeks, not months.”
Roberts got a bone marrow transplant in September. In June, she disclosed to viewers that she had MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease.
Celebrating Breast Cancer Survivors
22 photos Launch gallery
1. Richard Roundtree was diagnosed with a rare male breast cancer in '93 and underwent a double mastectomy at age 61.
1 of 22
2. Wanda Sykes found out she had breast cancer when she went in for a breast reduction. She opted for a double mastectomy.
2 of 22
3. Angelina Jolie tested positive for the breast cancer gene BRCA1 in 2014. As a result she had a double mastectomy.
3 of 22
4. Robin Roberts was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 and returned to work a month after surgery & chemo. (AP)
4 of 22
5. Diahann Carroll was diagnosed in 1998 & 10 years later she had a bestselling comedic book about her battle with breast cancer.
5 of 22
6. Sheryl Crow was diagnosed at age 44 in 2006 and credits early detection to her survival. (AP)
6 of 22
7. Patti LaBelle was diagnosed in 2005 and is cancer-free today. (Photo: AP)
7 of 22
8. Kylie Minogue was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 at age 37 and is now cancer free after chemo. (Photo:AP)
8 of 22
9. Hoda Kotb was diagnosed in 2006 and underwent a mastectomy & reconstructive surgery. She is now cancer-free. (AP)
9 of 22
10. Fashion designer Betsy Johnson was diagnosed in 2002 is now cancer-free. (Photo: AP)
10 of 22
11. Giuliana Rancic was diagnosed at age 36 and underwent a double mastectomy. (Photo: AP)
11 of 22
12. Rene Syler chose to have a preventive mastectomy due to carrying the breast cancer gene. She is cancer-free today and happy.
12 of 22
13. Christina Applegate underwent a double mastectomy and is now cancer-free and working harder than ever. (AP)
13 of 22
14. Poet and author Nikki Giovani battled and conqured both lung and breast cancer.
14 of 22
15. Melissa Ethridge was diagnosed in 2004 at age 43. She performed at the 2005 Grammy Awards bald, beautiful & cancer-free.
15 of 22
16. Retired WNBA player Edna Campbell is a breast cancer survivor and penned a Breast Cancer Recovery Manual. (AP)
16 of 22
17. Cynthia Nixon of Sex & the City fame was diagnosed in 2006. She had a lumpectomy and radiation and is now cancer-free.
17 of 22
18. Peter Criss The ex-KISS drummer who penned the power ballad “Beth” is one the few faces of male breast cancer & survivor. PR
18 of 22
19. Actress, director and Oscar-winner Kathy Bates recently revealed she had a double mastectomy and is doing great. PR
19 of 22
20. Singer, novelist, actress & model Marsha Hunt was diagnosed with Breast cancer in 2004 and is now cancer free. (Pinterest)
20 of 22
21. Oklahoma state Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre is a survivor and a tireless advocate for breast cancer research. (Flickr)
21 of 22
22. Nancy Brinker founder of the Susan G Komen for the Cure Foundation is also a breast cancer survivor. (AP)
22 of 22