Be it sprouting from your scalp or weaved in, nurturing your mane should top your beauty priority list as it does mine. This past year has led me to discover some stand out products for curly girls from leave-in conditioners to creams that purport to boost the appearance of my curls strand per strand.
With a personal goal of finding that product that affords me a frizz-free life, Curl Gel-les’c – Curl Serum Gel – pronounced Curl Jealousy ($25, curls.biz) stepped up to the plate with some surprising results.
Established in 2002, Curls is formulated with certified organic ingredients, exotic extracts and natural botanicals and has been used on the manes of some of Hollywood’s elite like Halle Berry, Nia Long and Alicia Keys. Curls is considered a leader among multi-ethnic consumers because the product line on what doesn’t seem to be an o overlooked audience anymore – the curly community!
Weary of gels, I was curious about the composition of this product. ‘Gel-les’c’ isn’t a gel or a serum. It’s a hybrid between a gel and a serum that locks dry, frizzy hair in place, especially during humid weather. As Step #4 in the Curls system of products, ‘Gel-les’c’ should be used on freshly cleansed & conditioned hair and while hair is wet, gently work a quarter-size of product or slightly more if you need through your hair from root to end. Let air dry.
While I can’t say that ‘Gel-les’c’ completely banished the frizz, I will say that it did significantly calm down the craziness and bring a shine to my hair that I haven’t seen in a while.
HB’s Grade: A. Simple to use and has a fresh fragrance, so it won’t bug your nose all day. The Product names are straightforward and don’t require a dictionary to decipher although I had an issue with ‘Gel-les‘c‘ in the beginning. The packaging is utilitarian – unfortunately, nothing to write home about, but at least the product in that package is stellar.
Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair
1. Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow + Restore ConditionerSource:Courtesy of Walmart 1 of 25
2. Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl + Style MilkSource:Courtesy of Walmart 2 of 25
3. Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Sulfate-Free ShampooSource:Courtesy of Walmart 3 of 25
4. Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey Shine PomadeSource:Courtesy of Walmart 4 of 25
5. Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Leave-In MoisturizerSource:Courtesy of Walmart 5 of 25
6. As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing ConditionerSource:Courtesy of Walmart 6 of 25
7. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil ShampooSource:courtesy of Organix 7 of 25
8. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In ConditionerSource:Cantu 8 of 25
9. Cantu Shea Butter Twist And Lock GelSource:Cantu 9 of 25
10. Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming ShampooSource:courtesy of Beautiful Textures 10 of 25
11. Beautiful Textures Moisture ButterSource:courtesy of Beautiful Textures 11 of 25
12. Ojon Damage Reverse ShampooSource:courtesy of Ojon 12 of 25
13. Ojon Damage Reverse ConditionerSource:courtesy of Ojon 13 of 25
14. OBIA Curl Hydration SpraySource:OBIA 14 of 25
15. Ouidad Heat and Humidity GelSource:courtesy of Ouidad 15 of 25
16. Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing GelSource:Ouidad 16 of 25
17. Curly Hair Solutions Curl KeeperSource:Curly Hair Solutions 17 of 25
18. Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme LiteSource:Curl Junkie 18 of 25
19. Moroccanoil Hydrating ShampooSource:Moroccanoil 19 of 25
20. Moroccanoil Hydrating ConditionerSource:Moroccanoil 20 of 25
21. Moroccanoil Hair TreatmentSource:Moroccanoil 21 of 25
22. Yarok HairSource:yarokhair.com 22 of 25
23. WEN Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing ConditionerSource:ChazDean.com 23 of 25
24. Jane Carter Solution All Natural Nourish and Shine for Dry Hair and Dry SkinSource:Jane Carter Solution 24 of 25
25. Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Co-Wash ConditionerSource:Pantene/Pantene.com 25 of 25