As Netflix continues to add to its slate of original programming, actor Idris Elba is getting into business with the streaming giant. It has just been announced that he will star in the upcoming comedy series Turn Up Charlie.
Some of the best black TV shows come courtesy of Netflix and Idris Elba is hoping that his new project with the streaming service will soon be added to the list. As reported by Shadow and Act, Elba is set to star in the comedy series Turn Up Charlie, which is a noticeable departure for the British actor who is mainly known for tackling more dramatic roles.
Via Shadow and Act:
Netflix has given a straight-to-series, eight-episode order to ‘Turn Up Charlie,’ a new series starring and executive produced by Idris Elba.
Elba will star in the titular role as a struggling DJ and eternal bachelor who is given a final chance at success when he reluctantly becomes a manny to his famous best friend’s problem-child daughter.
Elba is executive producing with Gary Reich and Tristram Shapeero. “Netflix [has] allowed us to bring a very mischievous and unique passion project to life through their relentless support, enthusiasm and equally met passion. It has been a lifelong ambition of mine to work with Idris and to do so on a project that is so close to his heart is a privilege,” said Reich.
Elba expressed his gratitude for Netflix letting him take on a comedic role, saying “I get to do more comedy? I’m funny. Watch me work. Well done Netflix for recognizing a brother.”
You may remember that before he entered into the world of acting, Elba made his living as a DJ. So perhaps this role won’t be as big of a stretch as we thought. Production on Turn Up Charlie begins in May in the U.K, although no expected release date for the series is available at press time.
Favorite Celebrity Imports
1. Amethyst Amelia Kelly, better known by her stage name Iggy Azalea, is an Australian recording artist from Mullumbimby, New South Wales.Source:Instagam 1 of 22
2. Rita Sahatçiu Ora is a British singer, songwriter and actress. Her debut studio album, Ora, debuted at number one in the United Kingdom.Source:Instagram 2 of 22
3. Sam Smith was born in London, England and an alumnus of Youth Music Theatre UK and starred in their 2007 production of "Oh! Carol".3 of 22
4. Boris Kodjoe is an Austrian-born German actor and former fashion model who works primarily in the States. YAY! (PR)4 of 22
5. Singer & Actor Rihanna was born in a parish in Barbados called St. Michael. (Photos: PR)5 of 22
6. Actor Idris Elba was born in England has found fame on both sides of the pond. (Photos: PR)6 of 22
7. Singer Melanie Fiona is from Toronto, Canada.7 of 22
8. Actor turned rapper, Aubrey Drake Graham was born in Toronto, Ontario. (Photos: PR)8 of 22
9. Terri Seymour was born in England and is the American Idol correspondent for FOX 11 in LA. (PR Photos)9 of 22
10. Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor was born in London to Nigerian parents and started acting on stage as a teenager. (Photos: PR)10 of 22
11. Actor Wentworth Miller was born in England and is the lean, hunky star of TV's Prison Break. (Photos: PR)11 of 22
12. London born Estelle is an English Grammy Award winning R&B singer & songwriter, rapper and record producer. (Photos: PR)12 of 22
13. Downtown Julie Brown, born in Great Britain is an actress and former MTV VJ. She currently resides in LA. (PR Photos)13 of 22
14. Wyclef was born in Haiti.14 of 22
15. Naomi Campbell is a British model and was one of six models of her generation declared "supermodels" by the fashion world.15 of 22
16. Tamia was born in Windsor, Ontario.16 of 22
17. Taio Cruz is an English singer-songwriter, record producer, occasional rapper, and entrepreneur. (PR Photos)17 of 22
18. Actress Thandie Newton is a British actress who has found fame on both sides of the pond. (Photos: PR)18 of 22
19. Award winning actor and theatre director Delroy Lindo has also found fame on both sides of the pond. (PR Photos)19 of 22
20. Supermodel Iman was born in Somalia, attended University of Nairobi where a photographer discovered her. (PR Photos)20 of 22
21. Djimon Hounsou is a Beninese actor and model and has been nominated for two Academy Awards. (PR Photos)21 of 22
22. Naomie Melanie Harris is an screen actress in both England and the United States. (Photo: AP)22 of 22
Idris Elba Lands New Netflix Comedy Series ‘Turn Up Charlie’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com