In a new interview with the New York Times, Gabrielle Union reveals that many bookstores are refusing to stock her New York Times bestseller We’re Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True.
Union said after the book was released, she learned from several fans around the country that some bookstores are hiding her book in bins in the back of the store — only putting them on the sales floor after readers complain.
According to Union’s publisher HarperCollins, her book is now in its fourth print run and has over 100,000 copies in print. It spent three weeks on The New York Times nonfiction best-seller list.
During her promo tour, Gabby revealed only certain airports are displaying the book, and she has heard from readers that when they ask for it in certain cities, they are shocked to find the book still in stacks on the floor or in carts in the back.
“So I started asking people to tell me what stores this was happening in. You don’t want to alienate booksellers,” Ms. Union said, “but where’s my book?”
One store, she said, began promoting her book only after the store was put on blast by a Facebook campaign.
The issue represents the overall struggle that black authors face getting shelf space. One 2015 study of 40 publishers and review journals found that nearly 80 percent of those who worked in publishing were white.
30 Books Every African-American Should Read
1. "Annie Allen" by Gwendolyn Brooks1 of 28
2. "Up From Slavery" by Booker T. Washington2 of 28
3. "Assata: An Autobiography" by Assata Shakur3 of 28
4. "Go Tell It On The Mountain" by James Baldwin4 of 28
5. "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston5 of 28
6. "Dreams From My Father" By Barack Obama6 of 28
7. "Breath, Eyes, Memory" by Edwidge Danticat7 of 28
8. "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly8 of 28
9. "Beloved" By Toni Morrison9 of 28
10. "Half Of A Yellow Sun" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie10 of 28
11. "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison11 of 28
12. "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou12 of 28
13. "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass" by Fredrick Douglas13 of 28
14. "Song Of Solomon" by Toni Morrison14 of 28
15. "Blessed Life: My Surprising Journey of Joy, Tears, and Tales from Harlem to Hollywood " by Kim Fields15 of 28
16. "The Hollywood Commandments: A Spiritual Guide To Hollywood Success" by Devon Franklin16 of 28
17. "We're Gonna Need More Wine" by Gabrielle Union17 of 28
18. "Role Of Thunder Hear My Cry" by Mildred D. Taylor18 of 28
19. "The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man" by James Weldon Johnson19 of 28
20. "Kindred" by Octavia E. Butler20 of 28
21. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett21 of 28
22. "Hacks: The Inside Story Of the Break-ins and Breakdowns That Put Donald Trump in the White House" by Donna Brazile22 of 28
23. "The Secret Life Of Bees" By Sue Monk Kidd23 of 28
24. "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison24 of 28
25. "The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. " by Martin Luther King Jr. Edited by Clayborne Carson25 of 28
26. "The Blacker The Berry" by Wallace Thurman26 of 28
27. "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander27 of 28
28. "I Am Not Sidney Poitier" by Percival Everett28 of 28
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)