In a new interview with the New York Times, Gabrielle Union reveals that many bookstores are refusing to stock her New York Times bestseller We’re Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True.
Union said after the book was released, she learned from several fans around the country that some bookstores are hiding her book in bins in the back of the store — only putting them on the sales floor after readers complain.
According to Union’s publisher HarperCollins, her book is now in its fourth print run and has over 100,000 copies in print. It spent three weeks on The New York Times nonfiction best-seller list.
During her promo tour, Gabby revealed only certain airports are displaying the book, and she has heard from readers that when they ask for it in certain cities, they are shocked to find the book still in stacks on the floor or in carts in the back.
“So I started asking people to tell me what stores this was happening in. You don’t want to alienate booksellers,” Ms. Union said, “but where’s my book?”
One store, she said, began promoting her book only after the store was put on blast by a Facebook campaign.
The issue represents the overall struggle that black authors face getting shelf space. One 2015 study of 40 publishers and review journals found that nearly 80 percent of those who worked in publishing were white.
30 Books Every African-American Should Read
1. "Annie Allen" by Gwendolyn Brooks1 of 27
2. "Up From Slavery" by Booker T. Washington2 of 27
3. "Assata: An Autobiography" by Assata Shakur3 of 27
4. "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston4 of 27
5. "Dreams From My Father" By Barack Obama5 of 27
6. "Breath, Eyes, Memory" by Edwidge Danticat6 of 27
7. "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly7 of 27
8. "Beloved" By Toni Morrison8 of 27
9. "Half Of A Yellow Sun" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie9 of 27
10. "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison10 of 27
11. "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou11 of 27
12. "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass" by Fredrick Douglas12 of 27
13. "Song Of Solomon" by Toni Morrison13 of 27
14. "Blessed Life: My Surprising Journey of Joy, Tears, and Tales from Harlem to Hollywood " by Kim Fields14 of 27
15. "The Hollywood Commandments: A Spiritual Guide To Hollywood Success" by Devon Franklin15 of 27
16. "We're Gonna Need More Wine" by Gabrielle Union16 of 27
17. "Role Of Thunder Hear My Cry" by Mildred D. Taylor17 of 27
18. "The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man" by James Weldon Johnson18 of 27
19. "Kindred" by Octavia E. Butler19 of 27
20. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett20 of 27
21. "Hacks: The Inside Story Of the Break-ins and Breakdowns That Put Donald Trump in the White House" by Donna Brazile21 of 27
22. "The Secret Life Of Bees" By Sue Monk Kidd22 of 27
23. "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison23 of 27
24. "The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. " by Martin Luther King Jr. Edited by Clayborne Carson24 of 27
25. "The Blacker The Berry" by Wallace Thurman25 of 27
26. "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander26 of 27
27. "I Am Not Sidney Poitier" by Percival Everett27 of 27
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)