DETROIT (AP) — Aretha Franklin‘s lengthy version of the national anthem ahead of the Detroit Lions-Minnesota Vikings matchup may have been as much a topic at Thanksgiving dinner as the game itself.
Franklin’s “Star Spangled Banner” clocked in at 4-minutes, 35 seconds on Thursday. That’s compared to about 2-minutes, 20 seconds for Whitney Houston’s iconic rendition of the song ahead of the Super Bowl in 1991.
Franklin quickly started trending on social media. One Twitter user joked that there was enough time to cook a turkey, eat and do the dishes during the performance. Others opined that the 74-year-old “Queen of Soul” had earned the right to sing the anthem for as long as she wanted.
The CBS production team got in on the fun during the game by including Franklin in a time of possession graphic .
What do you think – too long or who cares, she’s the Queen?
The National Anthem - Best & Worst Performances
1. BEST: Jennifer Hudson - Nailed it! 2009 Super Bowl. (Photo: Retna)1 of 15
2. BEST: Whitney Houston - Nailed it! - Super Bowl XXV in 1991 (Photo: AP)2 of 15
3. BEST: Monica Brown - Got It Right! - Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 in 20143 of 15
4. WORST: Christina Aguilera - flubbed the lyrics at Super Bowl 45 in 2011. (Photo: AP)4 of 15
5. BEST: Beyonce - Nailed it! Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004. (Photo: Retna)5 of 15
6. WORST: Keri Hilson met with some major booing after messing up the song at a Lakers game. (Photo: Retna)6 of 15
7. WORST: Steven Tyler - butchered the song at the AFC Championship game in Massachusetts earlier this year. (AP)7 of 15
8. BEST: Mariah Carey - Nailed it! Super Bowl 2002. (AP)8 of 15
9. WORST: Roseanne Barr butchered the song at a 1990 San Diego Padres game, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. (AP)9 of 15
10. BEST: Fergie got some high praise for her performance of the National Anthem for Monday Night Football in September-2011.10 of 15
11. WORST: Michael Bolton had the lyrics written on his hand and still managed to mess up. Fenway Park - 2003. (Photo: AP)11 of 15
12. BEST: Kelly Rowland -Nailed it! Bears vs. Giants in October 2010. (Photo: Retna)12 of 15
13. WORST: R. Kelly was booed by a Las Vegas audience at a boxing match in 2005 for his rendition of the Anthem. (Photo: Retna)13 of 15
14. BEST: Kelly Clarkson - Nailed it! Super Bowl XLVI. (Photo: AP)14 of 15
15. WORST: Scotty McCreery flubbed the lyrics while singing the National Anthem for the World Series in 2011. (Photo: AP)15 of 15
(Photo Source: AP)