PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A former teen-actress who accuses Bill Cosby of molesting her asked a federal appeals court Friday in Philadelphia to revive her defamation lawsuit against the comedian.
Renita Hill, of Pittsburgh, said she was defamed when Cosby, his wife and his then-lawyer questioned abuse accusations raised in late 2014 by Hill and other women. Cosby lawyer Martin Singer called the new accounts “fantastical,” ”ridiculous,” ”illogical” and beyond “absurd.”
A federal court in Massachusetts has allowed seven women to sue Cosby for defamation over the statement, but a Pittsburgh judge dismissed Hill’s lawsuit.
In oral arguments Friday, the appeals court judges peppered her lawyer with questions about whether the comments amounted to defamation. They did not indicate when they would rule.
Los Angeles lawyer Angela C. Agrusa, defending Cosby, said that Singer’s statement was “pure opinion” that, if anything, attacked the press for printing the accusations.
Hill’s lawyer, George M. Kontos, of Pittsburgh, said Singer unfairly implied the women’s claims had been investigated and proven untrue.
“Over and over again, we have refuted these new, unsubstantiated stories with documentary evidence,” Singer wrote in the statement. “When will it end?”
The statement came days after The Washington Post printed a Nov. 13, 2014, opinion piece by Cosby accuser Barbara Bowman, and a day after Hill first told her account to a Pittsburgh radio station.
Hill accuses Cosby of drugging and molesting her, starting when she was 16, after they met on the TV show, “Picture Pages,” in 1983.
Cosby, now 79, is awaiting trial in June on charges he drugged and molested a woman at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004.
The long-married Cosby has called his sexual encounters with other women consensual.
Celebs Caught Creepin'
1. Amber Rose & Wiz KhalifaSource:PR Photos 1 of 32
2. Chris Brown & KarruecheSource:Instagram 2 of 32
3. Future & CiaraSource:Instagram 3 of 32
4. D-Wade & Gabrielle Union4 of 32
5. Ludacris & Eudoxie5 of 32
6. Tina Campbell & Teddy6 of 32
7. Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom7 of 32
8. Tina & Mathew Knowles8 of 32
9. Joe Budden & Tahiry9 of 32
10. Arnold Schwarzenegger & Maria Shriver10 of 32
11. Tiki Barber & Traci Lynn Johnson11 of 32
12. Jesse James & Sandra Bullock12 of 32
13. Eddie Cibrian & LeAnn Rimes13 of 32
14. Paula Patton & Robin Thicke14 of 32
15. The Dream15 of 32
16. Tiger Woods & Elin16 of 32
17. Josh & Fergie17 of 32
18. Tameka & Usher18 of 32
19. Chili19 of 32
20. Ashton & Demi20 of 32
21. Eric Benet & Halle Berry21 of 32
22. Kim Porter22 of 32
23. J Lo & Cris Judd23 of 32
24. Dayanara Torres, Marc Anthony & J Lo24 of 32
25. Tony Parker & Eva Longoria25 of 32
26. Kobe & Vanessa Bryant26 of 32
27. Shar Jackson27 of 32
28. Gracelle Beauvais28 of 32
29. Ev & Ocho29 of 32
30. Brad, Angie & Jen30 of 32
31. Fantasia & Antwaun31 of 32
32. Swizz Beatz & Alicia Keys32 of 32
(Photo Source: AP/Youtube)