PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A former teen-actress who accuses Bill Cosby of molesting her asked a federal appeals court Friday in Philadelphia to revive her defamation lawsuit against the comedian.
Renita Hill, of Pittsburgh, said she was defamed when Cosby, his wife and his then-lawyer questioned abuse accusations raised in late 2014 by Hill and other women. Cosby lawyer Martin Singer called the new accounts “fantastical,” ”ridiculous,” ”illogical” and beyond “absurd.”
A federal court in Massachusetts has allowed seven women to sue Cosby for defamation over the statement, but a Pittsburgh judge dismissed Hill’s lawsuit.
In oral arguments Friday, the appeals court judges peppered her lawyer with questions about whether the comments amounted to defamation. They did not indicate when they would rule.
Los Angeles lawyer Angela C. Agrusa, defending Cosby, said that Singer’s statement was “pure opinion” that, if anything, attacked the press for printing the accusations.
Hill’s lawyer, George M. Kontos, of Pittsburgh, said Singer unfairly implied the women’s claims had been investigated and proven untrue.
“Over and over again, we have refuted these new, unsubstantiated stories with documentary evidence,” Singer wrote in the statement. “When will it end?”
The statement came days after The Washington Post printed a Nov. 13, 2014, opinion piece by Cosby accuser Barbara Bowman, and a day after Hill first told her account to a Pittsburgh radio station.
Hill accuses Cosby of drugging and molesting her, starting when she was 16, after they met on the TV show, “Picture Pages,” in 1983.
Cosby, now 79, is awaiting trial in June on charges he drugged and molested a woman at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004.
The long-married Cosby has called his sexual encounters with other women consensual.
Celebs Caught Creepin'
1. Amber Rose & Wiz KhalifaSource:PR Photos 1 of 34
2. Chris Brown & KarruecheSource:Instagram 2 of 34
3. Future & CiaraSource:Instagram 3 of 34
4. Mariah Carey & Nick CannonSource:PR Photos 4 of 34
5. D-Wade & Gabrielle Union5 of 34
6. Ludacris & Eudoxie6 of 34
7. Tina Campbell & Teddy7 of 34
8. Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom8 of 34
9. Tina & Mathew Knowles9 of 34
10. Joe Budden & Tahiry10 of 34
11. Arnold Schwarzenegger & Maria Shriver11 of 34
12. Tiki Barber & Traci Lynn Johnson12 of 34
13. Jesse James & Sandra Bullock13 of 34
14. Eddie Cibrian & LeAnn Rimes14 of 34
15. Paula Patton & Robin Thicke15 of 34
16. The Dream16 of 34
17. Tiger Woods & Elin17 of 34
18. Josh & Fergie18 of 34
19. Tameka & Usher19 of 34
20. Chili20 of 34
21. Ashton & Demi21 of 34
22. Eric Benet & Halle Berry22 of 34
23. Ashley & Cherly Cole23 of 34
24. Kim Porter24 of 34
25. J Lo & Cris Judd25 of 34
26. Dayanara Torres, Marc Anthony & J Lo26 of 34
27. Tony Parker & Eva Longoria27 of 34
28. Kobe & Vanessa Bryant28 of 34
29. Shar Jackson29 of 34
30. Gracelle Beauvais30 of 34
31. Ev & Ocho31 of 34
32. Brad, Angie & Jen32 of 34
33. Fantasia & Antwaun33 of 34
34. Swizz Beatz & Alicia Keys34 of 34
(Photo Source: AP/Youtube)