On Saturday, just two days before she was set to perform at the California State Fair, Chaka Khan cancelled her performance. The 10-time Grammy Award winning singer announced that she will be entering rehab for drug addiction.
As reported by The Sacramento Bee, fair officials received a message from Khan’s representative, stating that the singer was entering into an addiction rehabilitation and aftercare program for addiction to prescription pain medication, said Sabrina Rodriguez, a Cal Expo spokesman.
The 63-year-old’s addiction to drugs has been an issue for decades, having used cocaine, heroin, and excessive alcohol during the 1970s and 80s. The singer was said be sober of alcohol and hard drugs in 2005 —after seeking professional help, but relapsed in the 2000s from prescription drugs.
“The battle of addiction is a serious and long process, which is why I chose to address my use of prescription medications—which came about as a result of the knee surgery I had a few years ago,” Khan said in a 2013 statement after exiting treatment for the same issue.
Adding, “When and if necessary, I will seek alternative methods and traditional treatment to stay ahead of any potential problem. So many are not here today, and have lost this battle with addiction. Because these medications are legal, their abuse is often unknown—until it’s too late. If not handled they are a silent killer.”
What stands out so much about this recent rehabilitation, is that is comes a few months after Khan’s close friend Prince, died of a prescription drug overdose. Quietly kept in both cases, the two seem to have something deadly in common.
We wish the best for Khan’s full recovery and know she’ll be back on top, once she’s free of addiction.
Talented, Famous & Formerly Addicted
1. Columbus Short recently admitted to self medicating with drugs including cocaine and alcohol.Source:Columbus' Twitter 1 of 33
2. Rapper Lil' Wayne says he isn't addicted to Codeine, but continuous health scares proves that he may be.2 of 33
3. Michael Jackson battled a public addiction of painkillers. (PR)3 of 33
4. Lamar Odom's addiction to drugs cost him his marriage to Khloe Kardashian and ended his NBA career.4 of 33
5. In 2009 Paula Abdul revealed a 12 year addicted to painkillers. (PR)5 of 33
6. Samuel L. Jackson was addicted to cocaine in the 80's. He credits his wife for helping him get clean.6 of 33
7. Wendy Williams has been quoted calling herself a "functioning addict". She was addicted to cocaine during her days on the radio.7 of 33
8. Eminem was addicted to pain pills. (PR)8 of 33
9. T.I. has been very vocal about his addiction to drugs, crediting fellow rapper Eminem for his sobriety. (PR)9 of 33
10. Naomi Campbell admitted she was a recovering cocaine user. Her addiction started in 1994. (PR)10 of 33
11. Oprah admitted to being a habitual cocaine user in her 20's, but she'd become famously known for her struggles with her food addiction. (PR)11 of 33
12. Whitney Houston had a drug addiction. (PR)12 of 33
13. Lindsay Lohan has spent time in rehab for cocaine, pills and an alcohol addiction. (PR)13 of 33
14. Kirk Franklin was addicted to pornography (PR)14 of 33
15. Terry Crews was addicted to pornography (PR)15 of 33
16. Mary J. Blige was addicted to cocaine in her early 20's. (PR)16 of 33
17. Bobby Brown struggles with Alcohol abuse. (PR)17 of 33
18. Chaka Khan battled alcohol and drug addiction. (PR)18 of 33
19. Tiger Woods reportedly entered sex rehab for sex addiction. (PR)19 of 33
20. Monifah was addicted to cocaine for 7 years, she is now clean.(PR)20 of 33
21. Charles Barkley has lost over $10 million from gambling overtime. (PR)21 of 33
22. Eric Benet entered a 35-day treatment in 2002 for sex addiction. (PR)22 of 33
23. Michael Jordan struggled with a gambling addiction. (PR)23 of 33
24. Bruno Mars battled an addiciton to cocaine. (PR)24 of 33
25. Nicole Richie struggled with a heroine addiction. (PR)25 of 33
26. Evelyn Lozada's ex Antoine Walker blew threw away millions of dollars due to gambling. (AP)26 of 33
27. Queen Latifah had a bout with drug addiction, she also sold drugs as a young adult. (PR)27 of 33
28. Kid Cudi struggled with addictions to liquid cocaine. (PR)28 of 33
29. Dennis Rodman had problems with alcoholism. (PR)29 of 33
30. Actress Maia Campbell was addicted to crack cocaine. (EURweb)30 of 33
31. The legendary Gladys Knight struggled with a gambling addiction losing up to $45k a night. (PR)31 of 33
32. Allen Iverson struggled with a gambling addiction. (AP)32 of 33
33. Nadya Suleman checked herself into rehab for a prescription drug addiction. (PR)33 of 33
(Photo Source: PR Photos)