Prince has been pretty active in our fight for civil rights and the #BlackLivesMatter movement, and he continues to participate in his own way. The legendary artist just dropped a video for “Baltimore,” the song he wrote after Freddie Gray was killed while in police custody back in April.
The song features Chicago singer Eryn Allen Kane, and its video was shot documentary-style. The clip contains footage and photos from the Maryland city, protests and even the “Rally 4 Peace” Prince held himself. Poignant and necessary, Prince calls for peace and action.
The timing for the video couldn’t be any better especially since we’re, yet again, going through the motions in the wake of Sandra Bland, an African American woman who died in police custody. “Baltimore” should undoubtedly resonate with listeners.
Remembering Prince Through the Years
1. PrinceSource:AP 1 of 15
2. PrinceSource:AP 2 of 15
3. Fact: Prince was nicknamed "Skipper" as a kid.3 of 15
4. Prince rocking out on ABC's Good Morning America in June of 2006. (PR Photos)4 of 15
5. Fact: Prince was reportedly able to play 27 instruments5 of 15
6. Prince at the 2007 Vanity Fair Oscar Party in West Hollywood, CA. (PR Photos)6 of 15
7. Prince at The Bourne Ultimatum UK Premiere in Leicester Square in 2007. (PR Photos)7 of 15
8. Prince performs at London Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2008 in Eaton Square in London. (PR Photos)8 of 15
9. Prince performs in Chicago in 2011.9 of 15
10. Prince performs at London Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2008 in Eaton Square in London. (PR Photos)10 of 15
11. Prince at the 42nd NAACP Image Awards on March 4, 2011, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo)11 of 15
12. Wax Figure of Prince Unveiled at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in New York on January 16, 2009. (PR Photos)12 of 15
13. Prince was awarded with an "Icon Award" at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards. (AP)13 of 15
14. Fact: Prince played electric guitar on Madonna's "Like A Prayer." (Retna)14 of 15
15. PrinceSource:AP 15 of 15
Prince Honors Freddie Gray With Documentary-Style ‘Baltimore’ Video was originally published on theurbandaily.com