Despite some lukewarm reviews, the DreamWorks/Fox animated comedy Home was expected to bring in roughly $30 to $35 million in box office receipts during its opening weekend. It has surpassed those forecasts with an initial opening weekend of over $50 million.
Variety reports the film cost $130 million to make, and it features vocal talent from Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, and Steve Martin. Rihanna not only voices the lead character, Gratuity “Tip” Tucci, but she contributed the songs “As Real As You and Me” and “Dancing In the Dark” to the film’s soundtrack.
“Dialogue was one of the challenge I had to work through,” Rihanna said, in a recent interview with PopSugar. “It was one of the things that I learned so much about during the experience.”
The early commercial success of Home marks a bit of a cinematic bounce back for Rihanna. Her last major role was as Petty Officer Cora “Weps” Raikes in the critically panned 2012 film Battleship. Thus far, Home is on pace to earn more than recent Dreamworks/Fox animated features including Penguins of Madagascar, Mr. Peabody and Sherman, and Turbo.
Rihanna and More Celebs Attend 'Home' LA Premiere
1. RihannaSource:PR Photos 1 of 10
2. Jennifer LopezSource:PR Photos 2 of 10
3. "Black-ish" star Yara ShahidiSource:PR Photos 3 of 10
4. A close up of RihannaSource:PR Photos 4 of 10
5. Gloria Govan and kidsSource:PR Photos 5 of 10
6. Jim ParsonsSource:PR Photos 6 of 10
7. Griffin Gluck, Nolan Sotillo with former costar Octavia Spencer.Source:PR Photos 7 of 10
8. Viola Davis and her daughterSource:PR Photos 8 of 10
9. A look at Jennifer Lopez's full ensemble.Source:PR Photos 9 of 10
10. Asia Monet RaySource:PR Photos 10 of 10
Animated Movie ‘Home’ Featuring Rihanna Opens with $54 Million was originally published on theurbandaily.com