NEW YORK (AP) — Jennifer Lopez decided to hit the road after her split from singer Marc Anthony two years ago.
She went on her first world tour, visiting 65 cities on five continents and reaching 1 million fans.
If you didn’t get to see the tour in person, you can catch it on HBO on New Year’s Eve. “Jennifer Lopez: Dance Again,” premiering on HBO and HBO Latino (9 p.m. EST), includes performances and behind-the-scenes footage from the tour.
“I had just gotten divorced, was a single mom for the first time (and) decided to go tour the world,” Lopez said in a recent interview.
The 45-year-old singer-actress said she realized the show was more than an arrangement of musical numbers; it was a mirror of her life.
“Looking at all my music and putting this show together and seeing, ‘Who was I as a person? As an artist? What did I want to say with this show?’ … It was self-reflective,” she said.
“Dance Again” includes rehearsal footage, interviews with family members and tense moments, such as when a dancer unexpectedly quits the show.
Fans will see how difficult it was for Lopez to leave “American Idol” after two successful seasons. (She has since returned to the Fox show, with the 14th season premiering Jan. 7.)
Cameras also show Lopez heartbroken over her twins, Maximilian and Emme, now 6 years old, missing their father.
One poignant and touching part of the documentary shows Lopez ending her tour in Puerto Rico with Anthony joining her onstage for a surprise duet. (He recently remarried.)
Lopez said it was important for her children to see their parents together as a united front.
“They don’t do what you say, they do what you do. You’ve got to show them we’re not together, but we’re together for you. When it comes to you, you’re so important to us and you’re so loved,” she said. ” … I reinforce that their dad loves them and he reinforces that I love them. … Kids with divorced parents, and I think about this all the time, they feel like one of the parents doesn’t want to be with them or doesn’t care about them. We reinforce that even not being together is for them. It’s the best thing.”
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Guess My Age: Celebs Keeping It Tight
42 photos Launch gallery
1. Guess My Age - Jada Pinkett Smith
1 of 42
2. Jada is 45-Years-Old and has a birthday in September
2 of 42
3. Guess My Age - Halle Berry
3 of 42
4. Halle is 51-Years-Old and has a birthday in August
4 of 42
5. Guess My Age - Tyra Banks
5 of 42
6. Tyra is 43 and has a Birthday in December
6 of 42
7. Guess My Age - Naomi Campbell
7 of 42
8. Naomi turned 47-Years- Old in May
8 of 42
9. Guess My Age - Sanaa Lathan
Source:sanaa lathan INSTAGRAM
9 of 42
10. Sanaa is 45 and has a birthday in September
10 of 42
11. Guess My Age - Taraji P. Henson
11 of 42
12. Taraji is 46 and has a birthday in September
12 of 42
13. Guess My Age- Vanessa Williams
13 of 42
14. Vanessa turned 54-Years-Old on March 18th!
14 of 42
15. Jennifer Hudson: Guess my age!
15 of 42
16. Jennifer Hudson is 35-years-old. Her birthday is in September
16 of 42
17. Former First Lady Michelle Obama. Guess my age!
17 of 42
18. First Lady Michelle Obama turned 53 in January.
18 of 42
19. Venus and Serena Williams. Guess our age!
19 of 42
20. Venus is 37. Her birthday is in June. Serena is 35. Her birthday is in September.
20 of 42
21. Mary J. Blige: Guess my age!
21 of 42
22. Mary J. turned 46 in January.
22 of 42
23. Brandy: Guess my age!
23 of 42
24. Brandy turned 38 in February.
24 of 42
25. Madonna: Guess my age!
25 of 42
26. Madge will be 59 in August!
26 of 42
27. Nia Long: Guess my age!
27 of 42
28. Nia is 46 and has a birthday in October.
28 of 42
29. Tasha Smith: Guess My Age!
29 of 42
30. Tasha is 46 and has a birthday in February
30 of 42
31. Angela Bassett: Guess my age!
31 of 42
32. Angela is 59. Her birthday is in August.
32 of 42
33. Mariah Carey: Guess my age!
33 of 42
34. Mariah turned 47 this past March.
34 of 42
35. Paula Patton: Guess my age!
35 of 42
36. Paula is 41 and has a birthday in December.
36 of 42
37. Jill Scott: Guess My Age!
37 of 42
38. Jill Scott is 45-years-old. Her birthday is in April
38 of 42
39. Anika Noni Rose: Guess My Age!
39 of 42
40. Anika is 44 -years-old and has a birthday in September
40 of 42
41. Jenifer Lewis: Guess My Age!
41 of 42
42. Jenifer is 60-years-old. She has a birthday in January
42 of 42