MTV has released the trailer for “Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word,” a documentary about transgender youth.
The “Orange is the New Black” star serves as host and executive producer for the one-hour special that will air on both MTV and Logo, and profile the lives of seven transgender youths.
“For many of us, the ‘T’ in LGBT means more than transgender,” Cox said. “It also means truth. The cast members in this documentary are fearlessly living their truths and in sharing their stories will send the message to other trans youth that it’s OK to be who you are.”
Cox, who received an Emmy nomination for her role in the Netflix series, is a leading advocate for transgender rights.
Immediately following the documentary’s premiere, she’ll host a one hour “Trans Forum” with SuChin Pak live on Logo TV and MTV.com.
“Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word,” debuts Friday, Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. ET on MTV and Logo.
The documentary will profile:
• Ari, an 18-year-old man from Manhattan, who graduated from high school and is starting college.
• Avery, a 20-year-old woman from Queens, New York, who shares her experiences dating.
• Daniella, a 20-year-old woman from the Bronx, New York, who speaks out against anti-transgender violence.
• Kye, a 24-year-old man in Brooklyn, New York, who became the first Division One transgender basketball player.
• L’lerret, a 20-year-old woman attending college in New Orleans, Louisiana, where she is an active member of BreakOUT!, a group fighting criminalization of transgender youth.
• Shane, a 22-year-old man from Baltimore, Maryland and a college student living with his girlfriend.
• Zoey, a 12-year-old girl from California, who is supported by her mother and transferred out of her last school when the school administrators refused to acknowledge her as a girl.
(Photo Source: AP)