A father in Houston is going to jail for six months – even though he paid more child support than he owed, reports Click2Houston.com. Clifford Hall did fall behind on his child support to the tune of $3,000 – but the money was being garnished from his employer, not his paycheck.
Due to a clerical error, his company, AT&T, never submitted the funds so that his wife and son could collect. Even though Hall eventually discovered the discrepancy and paid in full, plus an extra $1,000, he’s still being prosecuted under Texas law.
“The law says you can [no] longer cure an error with payment. The judge has the discretion to send you to jail,” Hall’s appeals attorney Tyesha Elam told KHOU.
The case was appealed to the 14th Court of Appeals, but evidence from his employer was not admitted and the appeal was unsuccessful. Texas law allows for jail time even when the payment is made before a hearing date.
Hall is also facing accusations that he violated his custody agreement by keeping his son away from his mother for longer than the agreement allowed. A prior history of late payment didn’t help his case, but during his jail time, Harris will also be in child support arrears.
“It’s a horrible feeling and it makes me sick to my stomach but I have to do it,” Hall said. “I don’t know how it got like this, but I just want to move forward with my life.”
He hopes his story will prove to be a cautionary tale for other parents to make sure that monies withheld from their income are going to the right place.
(Photo: KHOU- TV)
Is this a miscarriage of justice or does Hall deserve to go to jail because of his prior history? Are the courts unfair to fathers who are trying to do the right thing, or does it make sense to punish deadbeat dads? Speak on it!
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Celebrating First Time Celebrity Dads
17 photos Launch gallery
1. Happy Father's Day to Cory Hardict, who has a son, Cree with his wife Tia Mowry-Hardict
1 of 17
2. Happy Father's Day to Omarion whose girlfriend Apryl Jones is pregnant with their first child.
2 of 17
3. Happy Father's Day to Brian J. White who has a daughter with his wife Paula.
3 of 17
4. Happy Father's Day to Adam Housely who has a son, Aden with his wife Tamary Mowry-Housely.
4 of 17
5. Happy Father's Day to Vincent Herbert who has a son, Logan with his wife Tamar Braxton.
5 of 17
6. Happy Father's Day to Robin Thicke who has a son, Julian with his estranged wife, Paula Patton
6 of 17
7. Happy Father's Day to Reggie Bush who has a daughter, Briseis, with his fiance Lilit
7 of 17
8. Happy Father's Day to Kanye West who has a daughter, North, with wife Kim Kardashian-West
8 of 17
9. Bring Your Family To Play With Ours!
9 of 17
10. Happy Father's Day to Wiz Kalifah who has a son, Bash, with wife Amber Rose
10 of 17
11. Happy Father's Day to Jay-Z who has a daughter, Blue Ivy, with wife Beyonce. (AP)
11 of 17
12. Happy Father's Day to Nick Cannon who has twins Roc and Roe with wife Mariah. (AP)
12 of 17
13. Happy Father's Day to Djimon Hounsou who has a son with Kimora Lee. (AP)
13 of 17
14. Happy Father's Day to Bow Wow who became a father last year to daughter Shai. (AP)
14 of 17
15. Happy Father's Day to Taye Diggs who has a son, Walker Nathaniel with wife Idina Menzel. (AP)
15 of 17
16. Happy Father's Day to Javier Bardem who has a son, Leo Encinas with wife Penelope Cruz. (AP)
16 of 17
17. Bring Your Familly To Play With Ours!
17 of 17