OWN likes what it sees in Kym Whitley and Deion Sanders and has doubled down on their reality shows in its Saturday night lineup.
Oprah Winfrey’s network has picked up a Season 2 for Raising Whitley, and ordered more episodes of Deion’s Family Playbook, the cable channel announced today.
Raising Whitley from Pilgrim Studios, hit a season high with its March 8th finale episode drawing 782,000 total viewers, OWN stated.
The show follows Whitley and her collective of friends – whom she calls “The Village” – as they attempt to do something none of them has ever done before – raise a child together.
Deion’s Family Playbook from Edmonds Entertainment, Prime Time Media Ventures and Rogue Atlas Productions, has averaged 716,000 total viewers, making it the highest rated first season of a series among all reality shows in OWN history, the network stated.
The shows have helped propel OWN’s Saturday night average for women 25-54 up +75% in first quarter 2014 versus one year ago. In addition, OWN had three of the top five original cable series for African-American women 25-54 (Raising Whitley, Deion’s Family Playbook and Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s, which is currently airing in new episodes).
Deion’s Family Playbook follows the man they call Primetime, the only pro athlete to ever play in both a Super Bowl and a World Series. Few people knew that Deion is a single father raising five kids of his own, while also helping to raise five other children who live with him, including the twins whom his mother cares for, his niece and nephew and a student in need whom he recently took into his home.
Additionally, Deion is co-founder and football coach of Prime Prep Academy, a charter school that aims to make a lasting impact on the lives of children in underserved areas. He is also dating producer Tracy Edmonds, who he met on business then began dating. She is a producer on the show and has two children of her own with ex-husband Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
Cuteness Overload: Celebrity Family Moments That Made Us Say "Aww"
1. 2 Chainz with his daughtersSource:2 Chainz Instagram 1 of 15
2. Monica and Shannon Brown and their daughter LaiyahSource:Monica Instagram 2 of 15
3. Kevin Hart and his kids Heaven and HendrixSource:AP 3 of 15
4. The CartersSource:Instagram 4 of 15
5. The WestsSource:AP 5 of 15
6. Alicia Keys and her son EgyptSource:Instagram 6 of 15
7. Christina Milian and her daughter VioletSource:Instagram 7 of 15
8. The Game and his daughter Cali.Source:Instagram 8 of 15
9. LeBron James and his son Bryce.Source:Instagram 9 of 15
10. Carmelo Anthony and his son Kiyan.Source:Instagram 10 of 15
11. Vin Diesel, Rev Run and Tyrese with their daughters.Source:Instagram 11 of 15
12. Fantasia and son Dallas.Source:Instagram 12 of 15
13. Tiny and her sons Major and King.Source:Instagram 13 of 15
14. Vince Herbert and his son Logan.Source:Instagram 14 of 15
15. Wiz Khalifah and his son Sebastian.Source:Instagram 15 of 15