Aretha Franklin is back, in good health and ready to rock and roll. After recovering from an undisclosed illness, The Queen of Soul returns to performing at the Motor City Casino in Detroit on December 21st and at Radio City Music Hall on January 17 and 18th and she wants her fans to know she’s ready.
“I’m back on the one, Tom,” she told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Come out and ‘Jump To It’ with me.” Despite the early hour, Franklin says she set her alarm multiple times so she wouldn’t miss the TJMS. “I wouldn’t’ t get up at this time for anybody else,” Franklin told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “This is just not my time of day. I’m a night person.”
Still, Franklin talked to the TJMS crew about her holiday, her concert plans, her current recordings, what she’s up to this holiday season and her famous fear of flying.
“I’m going to get back on the plane, I swear I am,” Franklin said. “I think it would be easier on me.” But don’t expect to see her on the Fantastic Voyage anytime soon.
“I do don’t cruises,” Franklin says.
Play audio for more of Franklin and Tom, Sybil and Jay on this morning’s show.
'Black Folks Don't'-22 Things Black Folks Don't Do
22 photos Launch gallery
1. Black folk don't sit quietly watching movies in theaters. We become part of the movie by talking to the screen.
1 of 22
2. Black folks don't go camping or hiking. No wireless? No heat/air conditioning? What's the point?
2 of 22
3. Black folks don't eat collard greens out of a can. That's just disrespectful.
3 of 22
4. Black folks don't allow dogs to eat at the table...
4 of 22
5. or sleep in our beds.
5 of 22
6. And black folks don't feed stray dogs. That's another mouth to feed!
6 of 22
7. As beautiful as they are, Black folks don't go to National Parks.
7 of 22
8. Black folks don't hitchhike. Way too dangerous.
8 of 22
9. Black folks don't wear holiday sweaters.
9 of 22
10. Black folks don't host house parties (complete with alcohol) for our teenagers.
10 of 22
11. Black folks don't put leashes on our kids. A good, hard side-eye is enough to keep them in place.
11 of 22
12. Black folks don't get our car's oil changed every 3 months. The car is running just fine.
12 of 22
13. Black folks don't eat pumpkin pie. Pumpkin is for Halloween.
13 of 22
14. Black folks don't attend the Republican National Convention. Let's be real. Why go where you're not welcomed?
14 of 22
15. Black folks don't eat rutabagas. What is a rutabaga anyway?
15 of 22
16. Black folks don't eat non-sweetened iced tea. It's just not right.
16 of 22
17. Although we should, Black folks don't swim. We'll put our feet in all day though.
17 of 22
18. Black folks don't use toaster ovens. It's better used as a bread box.
18 of 22
19. Black folks don't eat tofu. It just looks too weird.
19 of 22
20. Black folks don't wear tie-dyed clothing. It screams "hippie".
20 of 22
21. Black folks don't wash our hair every day. The process to get it back right is too long.
21 of 22
22. Black folks don't allow kids to call them by their first name. Add "Miss", "Mr." or something to the beginning. If not, that kid might just get a "James Evans" look.
22 of 22