The Smith family is quite obviously the unconventional type, with very expressive children making their own mark in the industry at tender ages.
In a recent conversation with Metro New York, Will and his 14-year-old son Jaden chatted about their new movie, “After Earth.” But the dad also revealed he and his lady don’t like to punish their children.
On Punishing His Kids
We don’t do punishment. The way that we deal with our kids is, they are responsible for their lives. Our concept is, as young as possible, give them as much control over their lives as possible and the concept of punishment, our experience has been — it has a little too much of a negative quality. So when they do things — and you know, Jaden, he’s done things — you can do anything you want as long as you can explain to me why that was the right thing to do for your life.
Jaden on Partying
Not at all. I go out and skate every night. Hang out with people, skate, hang out with more people, skate to their house.[…]It’s not like I don’t want to go to parties because I need to study and go to college; I just don’t wanna go. If they’re gonna play house music, I’m maybe interested, but if it’s some random place and they’re playing Waka Flocka Flame….[…]Other teenagers go to parties and sometimes I be like, “Why am I here right now?” And most of the time, I just leave right then and there. Some things I don’t like to do, that other teenagers do. Everyone thinks that since you make movies, you go to parties, and I like to party, but not normal teenage parties.
Will On If Jaden Being an Emancipated Minor
[Laughs] No, it’s not like that. More the idea that, I want him to have as much command and freedom if he is willing to accept responsibility. Those are two concepts that are inexorably bound. So he’s a very responsible young man so he’s entitled to the maximum freedom. [To Jaden] I said “inexorably.” You heard that? Someone Google that for Jaden.
On Jada’s Facebook
Jaden: [impersonating Jada] “I don’t care what people say. If we get hit for this, this is what the truth of the world is.’”Uh, okkkkay mom. She’ll be on the phone with a manager, “I don’t care what they said, I’m posting this on Facebook.” I think she should write a book.
Will: Jada is very serious and opinionated and she loves Facebook because it’s the only place she’s ever had where she’s felt like all of her can be received. She’s struggled her whole life where only a part of her is OK.
Meanwhile, last week Jada took to Facebook to clarify ‘Will can do whatever he wants‘ comment, which somehow or another opened up a whole new can of worms in the press. She wrote:
I am addressing this issue because a very important subject has been born from discussions about my statement that may be worthy of addressing. The statement I made in regard to, ‘Will can do whatever he wants,’ has illuminated the need to discuss the relationship between trust and love and how they co-exist.
Should we be married to individuals who can not be responsible for themselves and their families within their freedom? Should we be in relationships with individuals who we can not entrust to their own values, integrity, and LOVE…for us??? Here is how I will change my statement…Will and I BOTH can do WHATEVER we want, because we TRUST each other to do so. This does NOT mean we have an open relationship…this means we have a GROWN one.
Our Favorite Black Families
1. The First Family1 of 33
2. Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz2 of 33
3. Kobe and Vanessa Bryant3 of 33
4. Rev Run and Family4 of 33
5. Monica, Shannon Brown and Family5 of 33
6. LL Cool J and Wife6 of 33
7. Ice Cube and wife Kimberly Jackson7 of 33
8. Omar and Keisha Epps8 of 33
9. Magic and Cookie Johnson9 of 33
10. Tamia and Grant Hill10 of 33
11. Denzel Washington and wife Pauletta11 of 33
12. Angela Bassett, Courtney Vance and kids12 of 33
13. Carmelo and Lala Anthony, son Kiyan13 of 33
14. Paula Patton and Robin Thicke with son14 of 33
15. Keyshia Cole, Daniel Gibson, son Daniel Jr.15 of 33
16. Mariah Carey, Nick Cannon and their twins16 of 33
17. Boris Kodjoe and Nicole Ari Parker17 of 33
18. Eddie and Tag George18 of 33
19. Spike Lee and Family19 of 33
20. Alfre Woodard and husband20 of 33
21. Dr. Dre and wife21 of 33
22. Will Smith and Family22 of 33
23. Beyonce, Jay-Z, Blue Ivy and their two new editions Sir Carter & Rumi23 of 33
24. Beyonce, Jay-Z, Blue Ivy and their two new editions Sir Carter & Rumi24 of 33
25. Viola Davis and husband25 of 33
26. Laurence Fishburn and wife Gina Torres26 of 33
27. Ray Allen and wife27 of 33
28. TJ Holmes and wife28 of 33
29. Snoop Dogg and Family29 of 33
30. Duane Martin and Tisha Campbell30 of 33
31. T.I., Tiny and Family31 of 33
32. Wanda Sykes and wife32 of 33
33. Kevin Hart and Family33 of 33