NEW YORK (AP) — Maybe winning doesn’t take care of everything.
Nike is causing a social media storm with its latest online ad showing a picture of Tiger Woods overlaid with a quote from him, “Winning takes care of everything.” Woods has used the phrase with reporters since at least 2009 when they ask him about rankings.
The ad, posted on Facebook and Twitter, is supposed to allude to the fact that the golfer recovered from career stumbles to regain his world No. 1 ranking on Monday, which he lost in October 2010. But some say it’s inappropriate in light of Woods’ past marital woes.
It’s the latest controversy for Nike, which has recently had to cut ties with disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong and sprinter Oscar Pistorius because of separate scandals.
When Swirling Goes Wrong
1. Amber Rose and Wiz KhalifaSource:Amber Rose Instagram 1 of 22
2. Lamar & Khloe2 of 22
3. Paula and Robin3 of 22
4. Amber Rose and Kanye WestSource:PR Photos 4 of 22
5. Tiger Woods and Lindsey VonnSource:PR Photos 5 of 22
6. Taye Diggs and Idina Menzel6 of 22
7. Halle Berry & Gabrielle Aubry7 of 22
8. Coco & Ice- T8 of 22
9. Garcelle Beauvais & Michael Nilon9 of 22
10. Heidi Klum & Seal10 of 22
11. Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley11 of 22
12. Tiger Woods & Elin Nordegren12 of 22
13. Jennifer Lopez and Diddy13 of 22
14. Kim Kardashian & Reggie Bush14 of 22
15. Tony Parker & Eva Longoria15 of 22
16. 50 Cent & Chelsea Handler16 of 22
17. Dennis Rodman and Michelle Rodman17 of 22
18. Shar Jackson & Kevin Federline18 of 22
19. Kim Kardashian & Miles Austin19 of 22
20. Dennis Rodman and Carmen Electra20 of 22
21. Zoe Saldana and Keith Britton21 of 22
22. Cheryl Cole and Ashley Cole22 of 22