ATLANTA (AP) — Former WNBA player and Olympic gold medalist Chamique Holdsclaw is being indicted in a November 2012 shooting in Atlanta, prosecutors said Wednesday.
A six-count indictment charges Holdsclaw, 35, with aggravated assault, criminal damage and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, Fulton County District Attorney’s spokeswoman Yvette Jones said Wednesday.
Holdsclaw was arrested after an argument with Tulsa Shock player Jennifer Lacy, 29, who told police she was Holdsclaw’s ex-girlfriend. The two were also Atlanta Dream teammates in 2009. Holdsclaw broke the windows to Lacy’s car and shot at it Nov. 13, 2012, police said. No one was injured.
After a late-November court appearance, one of Holdsclaw’s attorneys said he talked with Lacy and they were trying to resolve the case.
“They are still friends and we expect the alleged victim to support a proper resolution of this,” said Edward Garland, an attorney representing Holdsclaw. “In no way did she use the gun to threaten or assault the alleged victim, or do so with a baseball bat.”
He acknowledged that Holdsclaw caused damage to Lacy’s car, but said his client never intended to hurt her.
“Sometimes charges get made that exceed the scope of the actual events,” Garland said, adding that he and his client plan to resolve the case without it going to trial.
Holdsclaw is out on $100,000 bond and a court date has not been scheduled.
Holdsclaw led the University of Tennessee to three consecutive national championships from 1996-98 before beginning a pro career that included six WNBA All-Star selections.
She also played on the U.S. Olympic team that won the gold medal in the 2000 Games. She had 3,025 career points at Tennessee and remains the Southeastern Conference’s career scoring leader.
In September, Holdsclaw returned to her alma mater to discuss her fight with clinical depression, which included a suicide attempt during her pro career.
Holdsclaw recounted how she attempted suicide in 2006 as a member of the Los Angeles Sparks by overdosing on the medication she was taking for clinical depression. She also wouldn’t leave her Washington home for a few days in 2004, two years after the death of the grandmother who raised her.
Out and Proud Celebrities
1. EJ JohnsonSource:Instagram 1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.25 of 25