69 people have been shot & killed by police since Donald Trump was elected President. Yet most of us could not name a single one of those victims because for most of this month, and I understand it, I’m one of you, we’ve been so terrified of what it means that Donald Trump will be our next President, that it has made it difficult to actively think about much else. That’s the Donald Trump effect. He is so flagrant, so dishonest, so problematic, that he has a way of sucking the wind out of every issue and problem we are facing, but let me say this…
While I absolutely believe that we need to be concerned about Donald Trump, and keep our eyes on him – with him as President – most of the changes we want and need to see are going to happen at local, citywide level. When Donald Trump put a white supremacist as his Chief Strategist, it was an immediate sign that he had very few intentions on taking our issues and concerns seriously. We knew that going in, but he confirmed it right out the box.
That’s why, on this coming Monday, December the 5th, on the anniversary of the historic Montgomery Bus Boycott, we are launching the Injustice Boycott, in cities all over the country, to hold local politicians, police departments, and businesses accountable for the systemic injustice and police brutality that happens in those cities.
For 3 months, behind the scenes, we’ve been planning and strategizing on how this boycott will work in order for it to actually effect the changes we want and need to see happen and part of our strategy has required us to hold our cards very close to our chest until we launch on Monday.
You can sign up now at InjusticeBoycott.com, but please allow me to give you a sneak peak of how this is going to go down, because we’re going to need all hands on deck.
First, we are going to particularly target cities with Democratic and so-called progressive leaders. Part of the reason President Obama has struggled to get anything of substance done on police brutality is because it’s a local problem. What’s wild is that most major cities in America have Democratic and progressive leaders who have done next to nothing of substance to seriously address issues of injustice and police brutality in their cities. When we launch the Injustice Boycott on Monday, you are going to see, right away, that we are going to add extra pressure on cities with leaders that we helped elect. We’ve been giving too many leaders a free ride for far too long.
Secondly, when we launch on Monday, we are launching a national boycott, let me tell you how we’re doing it. On Monday, we are announcing the first 3 cities that we are targeting. We aren’t just asking people living in those cities to participate, but we are asking the entire country, the entire world even, to help us creatively boycott those cities. In addition to the first 3 cities that we will announce on Monday, we will announce the basic framework for how the boycott will work and a list of the top 10 cities that will follow.
This method, of a rolling boycott, will allow us to build a strong base, then on King Day, 2017, which is Monday, January 16th, just days before the presidential inauguration, we are going to roll out Phase 2 of our boycott.
And I want to close with this thought, we chose the anniversary of the Montgomery Bus Boycott and then King Day to be the days that we launch our efforts because we want to remind people of the methods and organizing that have actually worked for us in the past. God bless all of us who go out and pick up trash on King Day, but Dr. King was about much more that picking up trash, he was about revolutionizing the very systems in our country, and we must get to a point where our organization matches our outrage.
That’s easier said than done. On most days, I’m more outraged than organized, because we have something new to be angry about every single day, but this boycott, which we see as a long term organizing tool, is not about lessening our outrage, but is about increasing our organizational ability to act all across this country.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading The Injustice Boycott Launches Monday December 5th