COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The long-awaited federal death penalty trial of the white man charged with the shooting deaths of nine black parishioners at a South Carolina church is scheduled to get underway next week with the final seating of a jury.
U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel ruled Thursday that he anticipates the jury of 12 members and six alternates who will hear the case against Dylann Roof will be selected next Wednesday in Charleston. After that process is completed, opening statements can begin.
Roof, 22, faces dozens of federal charges, including hate crimes and obstruction of the practice of religion, in connection with the June 2015 slayings at Emanuel AME Church. He is representing himself in his federal trial and has previously offered to plead guilty if prosecutors drop their pursuit of the death penalty.
The jury selection process has been ongoing this week with the qualification of a pool of 70 potential jurors. Provided that process wraps up as anticipated on Friday, the judge said that he will hold a pretrial conference on Monday.
There will be no court on Tuesday. Gergel granted Roof’s request for an additional day to prepare for trial.
While Roof is acting as his own lawyer, his former defense team is staying on as legal advisers. In a motion filed Thursday, those attorneys argue the court is hampering Roof’s defense by not allowing them to play a larger role.
“It should be apparent to everyone observing these one-sided proceedings that despite the defendant’s best efforts, there is much being left unaddressed as jury selection proceeds,” wrote the team, headed by capital defender David Bruck. “The Court’s refusal to exercise the discretion granted it by the Supreme Court to provide the defendant reasonable, limited assistance from standby counsel is therefore thwarting rather than promoting justice.”
Gergel has repeatedly told Roof and his advisers that he wants the defendant himself, not the legal team, to address him in court. In an order filed Wednesday, the judge explained his rationale for allowing Roof to act as his own attorney, saying the defendant was highly intelligent and understood the consequences of his decision, which Gergel called “very unwise.”
“Defendant’s decision to forego (sic) the services of the nation’s foremost capital defense attorneys is, in the Court’s view, unwise, but the law does not permit the Court to reject Defendant’s assertion of his constitutional right to represent himself because it is foolhardy,” the judge wrote.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 29
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 29
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 29
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 29
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 29
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 29
8. new new
8 of 29
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 29
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 29
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 29
12 of 29
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 29
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 29
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 29
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 29
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 29
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 29
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 29
20 of 29
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 29
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 29
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 29
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 29
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 29
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 29
27. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29
Continue reading Charleston Church Shooting Trial Set To Begin Next Week