By the age of 50, almost 85% of men experience significantly thinning hair. But that percentage doesn’t just include white males (even if every before and after photo does). Now, when looking at hair restoration surgery options, patients with afro-textured and natural hair will also be able to receive treatment.
In a new study published in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery-Global Open, Dr. Sanusi Umar has developed an updated method of hair transplantation using his patented UGraft tools (sometimes called the “UPunch Curl”), which is now more effective for Afro-textured hair.
Many Black Americans are turned away by hair transplant surgeons due to the low success rate of traditional surgery on natural hairstyles. For those individuals who did undergo surgery, a linear scar was sometimes the only result they had to show for the expensive procedure.
The challenge with traditional FUE methods was poor graft and hair viability. Using conventional methods, the damage rate of follicles was over 80%.
Now, Umar’s UPunch Curl technology accommodates very curly hair, making damage rates significantly lower.
Umar isn’t the only one creating hair loss solutions for different ethnic groups, though. In fact, The Korean Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (KSHRS) announced in late October that it had developed hair transplant surgery guidelines specific to East Asian patients.
While those of African descent were facing issues due to the texture of their hair, those of East Asian descent have faced issues due to deeper hair roots and thicker hair.
The new guidelines put forth by the KSHRS include adjusting the shape of the hairline, new methods for extracting hair follicles, and medicinal treatment to improve the after effects of surgery.
“We’ll continue our academic research for more effective transplantation surgeries, to improve the quality of life of hair loss patients,” said KSHRS President Hong Sung-chul.
Thanks to innovations from surgeons around the world, more ethnic groups will be able to take advantage of the full results of hair transplant surgery and other medical procedures in the future.
We’re still waiting on that cure for baldness, though…
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Black People Have New Options To Help With Hair Loss