An employee of the Oprah Winfrey Network is suing the company, claiming that she was subjected to routine sexual harassment and discrimination after becoming pregnant, TMZ reports.
According to the news site, Rebecca Taylor started working at OWN in 2010. She claims her supervisor, Nakisha Gowen, was a director at the network, and after she became pregnant in early 2013, Gowen began harassing her.
Taylor alleges that her supervisor asked far too many invasive questions during her pregnancy. Once she gave birth and returned to work, she would use the company’s pumping room, but one time, Gowen pounded on the door while she was pumping milk and told her to come to a co-worker’s going-away party.
Taylor says Gowen would often engage in unprofessional behavior towards her, which she found embarrassing, including pretending to honk her breasts, and then laying her head on them. Taylor says she was “mortified and humiliated.”
She also claims Gowen would talk to her about “tent pole events,” which she insists was in reference to a man who got an erection “pressing against his clothes and thus making his clothes, such as his pants, look like a tent pole placed against a tent.”
According to the suit, when she complained to human resources, the company did a training but did not investigate her boss, per Variety. Taylor alleges that her boss undermined her at work, and that she became so stressed that she ultimately had to take a year off from her job.
Not only did the female manager pretend to squeeze her pregnant employee’s breasts, Gowen also shamed Taylor for having morning sickness and re-enacted horror film sex scenes in meetings.
The lawsuit claims Gowen’s behavior was part of an attempt to create a “sexually hostile and abusive work environment,” and to “degrade and humiliate the Plaintiff in front of her co-workers.”
2016: The Year of Celeb Births, Pregnancies, Engagements, & Weddings
1. Tika SumpterSource:AP 1 of 22
2. Tiny and TI gave birth to their seventh child, Heiress.Source:Instagram 2 of 22
3. Ray J and Princess Love got married in AugustSource:Instagram 3 of 22
4. Israel Houghton and Adrienne Bailon got engaged in AugustSource:Instagram 4 of 22
5. Kevin and Eniko got married in August.Source:Instagram 5 of 22
6. Donnie McClurkin and Nicole C. Mullen got engaged in AugustSource:Twitter 6 of 22
7. Marsha AmbrosiusSource:Instagram 7 of 22
8. Kerry WashingtonSource:PR 8 of 22
9. Angela SimmonsSource:Instagram 9 of 22
10. Jurnee Smollett BellSource:PR 10 of 22
11. Coco and Ice TSource:Instagram 11 of 22
12. Tatyana AliSource:Facebook 12 of 22
13. Draya and Orlando ScandrickSource:Instagram 13 of 22
14. Blac Chyna and Rob KardashianSource:Instagram 14 of 22
15. Kandi BurrussSource:Instagram 15 of 22
16. Ciara and Russell WilsonSource:Instagram 16 of 22
17. Adrienne and Chris BoshSource:Instagram 17 of 22
18. Teyana Taylor and Iman ShumpertSource:PR Photos 18 of 22
19. Grace Gealey and Trai ByersSource:Instagram 19 of 22
20. Tyra BanksSource:Instagram 20 of 22
21. Chrissy TeigenSource:PR 21 of 22
22. Melanie FionaSource:Instagram 22 of 22
(Photo Source: AP)