“I do not believe, and I know this is a horrible thing to say, but I do not believe that the president [Barack Obama] loves America. He doesn’t love you. And he doesn’t love me. He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country.” – Rudy Giuliani
In 1992, as a reporter for New York Newsday, I stood in front of City Hall and witnessed a racially orchestrated mob of white men, many drinking beer and packing guns and most of them –10,000 strong — carrying metal badges that identified them as New York City police officers.
A block way, Rudy Giuliani, who was running for mayor of New York against Mayor David Dinkins, fired up the raucous crowd of cops by calling Dinkins’ proposals “Bullsh–.’’ Cops waved signs that read: “Dump the Washroom Attendant” and some shouted the N-word to describe the city’s first African-American mayor.
This was Giuliani’s crowd – New York’s finest — white, rowdy cops who ran roughshod over the city simply because they opposed a Black mayor. And Giuliani was certainly part of the problem because he wasn’t interested in being part of the solution. In fact, he encouraged their racist behavior.
“Rudy was out there inciting white cops to riot,” Dinkins later told The New York Times.
So today, 24 years later, Giuliani is being considered for a premier appointment in the new White House administration – perhaps Secretary of State — 10 days after Donald Trump was elected President of the United States.
Giuliani would be an absolute disaster on the world stage. He does not have the temperament to negotiate with world leaders; he is sometimes mean-spirited and, as a former prosecutor, he prefers to steam-roll adversaries instead of offering olive branches. His rough-and-tumble management style in New York boiled down to this: My way or the highway.
As mayor of New York, Giuliani was widely considered racially divisive, a leader who showed constant insensitivity and disregard for African-Americans and other people of color. He often refused to meet with Black leaders and frequently dismissed issues of importance to them. Black folks would often tell me they felt Giuliani was the mayor for “white New Yorkers.”
Giuliani’s insensitivity toward African-Americans was legendary.
He defended the officers who shot Amadou Diallo 19 times after he pulled a wallet out of his jacket to show them his ID. He touted “Stop and Frisk,” a hard-line racial profiling policy that was ultimately deemed unconstitutional. And in 2000, Giuliani again angered African-Americans after the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black man, Patrick Dorismond, saying Dorismond wasn’t an “altar boy.”
“I do not believe that the president loves America,” Giuliani said of Obama during a dinner in Midtown Manhattan. “He doesn’t love you. And he doesn’t love me. He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country.”
Giuliani is an awful choice for America’s top diplomat, simply because he is unwilling to realize diplomacy. What is Giuliani’s position on continued aid to Africa? Would he travel to Africa as Secretary of State? What about poverty in Haiti?
Giuliani didn’t care much about African-Americans in New York so it’s hard to imagine that as Secretary of State Giuliani would suddenly develop compassion for Black people outside the U.S.
The job of Secretary of State calls for subtlety among world leaders and Giuliani, predictably, enjoys wielding a sledgehammer.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Nation’s Top Diplomat Is No Role For Rudy Giuliani