Obama and Trump shook hands inside the White House and discussed a civil transfer of power two days after a racially divided nation witnessed Trump’s historic defeat of Hillary Clinton.
The president, a former community organizer, and Trump, a current billionaire blowhard, finally met face-to-face in the Oval Office — an improbable sit-down that no one saw coming 16 months ago.
These two men – who met Thursday for the first time — couldn’t be more different: Obama is tolerant; Trump is often intolerable. Obama is intellectual and cerebral. Trump doesn’t have a clue about leading – or healing — a nation.
This was clearly not the meeting Obama had envisioned, but it’s the meeting the president got. Obama campaigned vigorously for Clinton; he portrayed Trump correctly as an unbalanced tweet-obsessed fanatic who is unfit to be the nation’s commander-in-chief, a man who is long on rhetoric and short on substance.
And Obama will probably never forget that Trump led the so-called “birther” movement which questioned Obama’s citizenship, claiming that Obama was not born in the United States and was therefore disqualified for holding the office of president.
Trump’s attempt to discredit Obama in such a mean-spirited personal way was blatantly racist, the only logical interpretation for Trump’s lunacy. In fact, the Southern Poverty Law Center reported that hate groups in the U.S. have increased since Obama was elected president and Trump, who fostered an atmosphere of racial hatred, was endorsed by the KKK.
For months, Trump continued to disrespect the nation’s first Black president at every opportunity and hounded Obama, not about his legislative agenda, but about his lineage. For his constant contempt, Trump owes Obama a sincere apology.
But now Trump is poised to become president on Jan. 20 and take Obama’s place in the Oval Office. His immediate plan – however misguided and dangerous — is to dismantle many of Obama’s signature policies, which includes repealing the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, which could adversely impact 20 million Americans.
But Obama, the consummate statesman, has vowed to make the shift of power as seamless as possible for Trump.
“My No. 1 priority in the next two months is to try to facilitate a transition that ensures our President-elect is successful,” Obama said after his meeting with Trump.
Obama told Trump: “If you succeed, the country succeeds,” as the two men sat in front of the fireplace in the Oval Office.
Trump thanked Obama for the meeting, which he said had originally been scheduled for 10-15 minutes but lasted and hour and a half, with Trump saying it could have gone on much longer.
“Mr. President, it was a great honor being with you and I look forward to being with you many, many more times,” Trump said. He called Obama a “very good man.”
But what can we expect from Trump? A rookie politician who promises to be a leader for all Americans? Or the crass loudmouth who often insulted people of color on the campaign trail?
At some point, Trump will begin to methodically derail Obama’s legacy. On immigration, for example, Trump said he overturn Obama’s executive order to grant permits to millions of undocumented immigrants.
But now, after nearly two years of Trump proudly pushing back against political correctness – and singling out Hispanics and African-Americans as targets– Republicans are asking the millions of Americans who voted for Clinton to forgive Trump and give the incoming commander-in-chief a chance to succeed.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Trump Owes Obama An Apology For Leading ‘Birther’ Movement