CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Testimony in the trial of a white former South Carolina police officer in the shooting death of an unarmed black motorist is raising the questions about how much force is justified.
Michael Slager faces 30 years to life in prison if convicted of murder in the April 2015 shooting death of 50-year-old Walter Scott, who was shot and killed fleeing a traffic stop.
The prosecution’s case enters a fourth day in Charleston on Tuesday.
Scott was shot in the back in a shooting captured on a cellphone video that stunned the nation. He ran after being pulled over for a broken taillight on his car.
On Monday, police officers testified there are various levels of force officers can use to get suspects to comply. The lowest level being just their presence wearing a uniform which can be followed by voice commands, use of force and eventually deadly force.
North Charleston police Sgt. James Gann, who responded to the scene following the shooting, testified shooting someone in the back is not part of any officer’s training. He said the video of Scott running away from Slager indicated to him that Scott was trying to ease the level of confrontation.
“Through the video I would agree that he would be deescalating,” a situation in which an officer would have been taught then to use less force, Gann testified.
Responding to questions from Slager’s attorney Andy Savage, he agreed Slager had no way to know if Scott was armed and was running to get behind a tree and fire back.
He also testified Scott showed no sign he was surrendering and that there was no way Slager, in a few split seconds, could know Scott’s intentions.
Gann also testified Slager was no hothead and had “always been even keeled.”
Meanwhile, law enforcement officials are investigating nine suspicious letters mentioning racial violence sent to hotels, a church and a park in Charleston amid the Slager trial and another across the street in federal court with racial overtones.
Charleston city officials say local police and the FBI are investigating letters sent last month from outside the United States. They were received by hotels, Emanuel AME Church and a local park where a popular holiday light display opens this week.
Jury selection resumes Wednesday in federal court in the trial of Dylann Roof who is charged with hate crimes, obstruction of religion and other counts in the shootings of nine black parishioners at Emanuel in June of 2015.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Questions Of Use Of Force By Police Raised In Walter Scott Trial