Tomorrow voters will choose the next president, but the election could see progress on the minimum wage front, too.
Mellody: I am. As you know, the last few years have seen an increased focus on the minimum hourly wage in places around the country. From the “fight for 15” campaign among fast food and other service workers, to President Obama’s endorsement of a federal minimum wage of $12, up from $7.25 per hour. And is some places efforts have already been successful. But this year, the push for a higher minimum wage could take a significant step forward if voters in a few states decide to raise it through referendums.
The federal minimum wage is $7.25. What states have higher minimums than that?
A majority of states have minimum wages above the federal level, but just three states – California, New York and Oregon – have enacted policies that will raise their state minimum wages to $12 an hour or more in the coming years. And all three of these states have Democratic governors and Democratic state legislatures. But this year – tomorrow – voters in a group of more varied states will decide whether or not to raise the minimum wage at the ballot box, rather than have policies passed through the state legislature.
Where is this happening, and why is it important?
We will see these votes happen in four states. Voters in Arizona, Colorado, Maine and Washington are being asked to approve ballot questions seeking to raise the pay floor. If it happens, as many expect it will, it would more than double the number of states that have created pathways to a $12 minimum wage, from three to seven.
On top of that, one of the most important things about these votes is that they are putting the question to voters rather than relying on legislative bodies. This makes a big difference, as it takes the question away from more partisan political environments, directly to the people. And when asked whether they support a higher minimum wage, a majority of Americans do.
What are the economics of minimum wage hikes?
Those in opposition to minimum wage hikes contend they lead to job losses, higher prices, and hurt smaller businesses who have low profit margins already. Supporters of increases in the wage floor argue that increasing pay for minimum wage workers reduces income inequality and assure that full-time workers with families don’t live in poverty.
But I think the one statistic that is most clear is this: adjusted for inflation, a $12-an-hour minimum wage simply brings the minimum wage back in line with its peak relative to the median wage touched in the late 1960s. It is often overlooked that the federal minimum wage, and most state minimum wage rates, are not indexed to inflation. This means that even as cost of living rises, minimum wage workers have been left behind.
What would a minimum wage rise mean for workers?
This is where the numbers are eye-popping, tom. According to the Economic Policy Institute, if the entire country raised its minimum wage to $12 by 2020 and indexed it to inflation after, wages would rise for 35.1 million workers – more than one in four U.S. workers. Over the phase-in period, those workers impacted would receive nearly $80 billion in increased wages, and when the increase is fully implemented, the average affected worker would earn roughly $2,300 more each year.
And when you look at those who would be impacted, you see that the demographics are a broad spectrum. The average age of affected workers is 36 years old. A larger share of affected workers are 55 and older (15.3 percent) than are teens (10.7 percent). About two-thirds of affected workers are 25 years old or older. The majority of affected workers (55.9 percent) are women. And workers of color would benefit disproportionately, with more than one-third of Black and Hispanic workers receiving a raise.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30