CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The bystander who pressed record on his cellphone after spotting a white North Charleston policeman trying to arrest a black motorist took the witness stand Friday at the former officer’s murder trial.
Feidin Santana, whose steady hand recorded Michael Slager firing eight shots at the fleeing Walter Scott, was called by the prosecution to introduce the video to the jury. The images of the unarmed man being killed stunned the nation as they spread widely on the internet after the fatal encounter in April 2015.
“For some reason I decided to use my phone to record and prevent something that might happen,” he testified. “It was something I will never forget.”
Slager’s defense had sought to keep the video out of the trial, but didn’t object Friday after Santana took the stand. The defense did have two more requests: They wanted the jury to be instructed that the proper perspective to consider the action would be from the perspective of the officer, and they asked that the jury not be allowed to see the video in slow motion.
Judge Clifton Newman denied both requests, saying “I don’t seek to control the manner in which the state presents its evidence.” The jurors then donned headphones to watch the recording.
Slager faces 30 years to life if convicted of murder, and has been allowed to remain free pending a verdict.
Speaking outside court Thursday after the first day of trial, attorney for Scott’s family said they aren’t worried that a jury made up of 11 whites and one black is hearing the case.
“All you need in this case is everything all juries have: two eyes and a brain. It doesn’t matter what color they are, because they have eyes that can see that videotape,” said their attorney, Chris Stewart.
“That jury is intense — watching everything,” Stewart said after the opening day of testimony. “They know there is no explanation at all for shooting at a man eight times while running away.”
Scott’s youngest brother, Rodney, said the family is praying and “hopefully we’re going to get justice.”
One of the early witnesses was Pierre Fulton, Scott’s co-worker and friend who was in passenger seat when Slager pulled over the 1990 Mercedes for a broken tail light.
He Scott ran after Slager returned to his cruiser to check Scott’s driver’s license information.
“The next thing you know, he was out the door,” Fulton said.
He said he heard gunshots a short time later, but didn’t see the shooting. It also happened beyond the reach of the dash cam video from Slager’s cruiser that the jury watched.
Just before he bolted, Scott called his mother on his cellphone.
“He sounded in distress,” Judy Scott, 73, told the jury as she fought back tears. “I told him, ‘You know North Charleston policemen, so just do whatever they say.'”
Solicitor Scarlett Wilson said Slager fired eight times after failing to subdue Scott with a stun gun; five of the shots hit Scott in the back and buttocks.
Slager must be held accountable for “his decision to go too far — his decision to let his sense of authority get the better of him,” Wilson said.
The defense contends Scott was shot after the two men wrestled for control of his Taser.
Savage said Slager “earned a reputation of excellence” in his five years with the police and wondered why Scott did not obey the officer
“It wasn’t Mr. Slager who was angry and full of animosity,” he said.
The family has said Scott may have tried to flee because he was worried about having to go back to jail for missing child support payments. Savage called that “pure speculation,” and said there was no way Slager could have known Scott was unarmed.
“He never had a chance to pat him down. He never had a chance to frisk him,” he said.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Bystander Who Recorded Walter Scott Shooting In SC Takes Stand