Official portrait of President Barack Obama in the Oval Office, Dec. 6, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza) This official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

President Barack Obama is heading into his last months as President after eight years in office. His historic presidency has changed the way the world views America, politics, Black men and families and during his tenure, he’s been able to revitalize a sagging economy, correct mandatory sentencing abuses with a record number of prison sentence commutations, as well as provide universal health insurance, among other stellar accomplishments. No matter how history ultimately views his legacy, one of the initiatives closest to his heart is “My Brother’s Keeper,” a program aimed at improving the outcomes for young men of color.

To date, the initiative has raised millions through the support of major corporations. On his way out of the White House, the President has an important mission – to help get out the vote next week so that the positive momentum of the last eight years won’t be in vain. He’s been open about his disdain for Donald Trump, the Republican nominee, along with his support for another historic nominee – Hillary Clinton – who he famously beat out for the Democratic nomination eight years ago.

Here are some excerpts from his interview with the TJMS crew. You can hear the entire interview above.

On why he can’t go on the Fantastic Voyage cruise:

I was just telling somebody about the Tom Joyner cruises. I can’t go on those as President, but who knows when I’m done. (Laughs) You know what? All I’d be doing is just be taking selfies the whole time.

On where his Presidential Library will be:

The library’s going to be there [in Chicago] right in Jackson Park. That’s already decided. The site’s already selected.

On why he’s staying in Washington, D.C. after his term ends:

We can’t move back to Chicago until after Sasha finishes school. All the sacrifices Malia and Sasha made for me, I want them to have stability before they graduate, so that’s going to be about two-and-a-half years.

On the violence in Chicago:

The key is making sure we have a collective effort. There’s not going to be a single silver bullet. Some of it is that the gangs in Chicago are so splintered up now that there’s no authority. And every kid on the corner has a gun. Some of it has to do with the fact a lot of kids still don’t have anything to do other than hanging out and being involved in the drug trade.

We’ve seen programs that work. We’ve just got to double down and apply it. And we need more police. When you look at New York City, they’ve got a lot more police per person than they do in Chicago. And not just having a presence out there, but a positive presence, engaged with the community, not just sitting in a squad car and coming in after the fact.

On getting out the vote:

If you really care about my presidency and what we’ve accomplished, you are going to go and vote. And if you don’t know where to vote, go to www.iwillvote.com .If you’ve already voted, but your mama hasn’t voted, your cousin hasn’t voted, your nephew hasn’t voted, I need you to call them and say that the President and Michelle personally asked you to vote. It’s not that hard. And I know it’s not that hard because we’ve done it before.

But if we let this thing slip and I’ve got a situation where my last two months in office are preparing for a transition to Donald Trump, whose staff people have said that their primary agenda is, to have him, in the first couple of weeks, sit in the Oval Office and reverse every single thing that we’ve done – all the work we’ve done to make sure people get overtime, all the work we’ve done to make sure women get paid the same as men for doing the same job, all the work we’ve done so that 20 million people get healthcare, all the work we’ve done to make sure we’re doing something about climate change, so that we don’t have a situation where the whole world is not scrambling to figure out where they’re going to live and where they get enough water and crops failing and bigger hurricanes – if I’ve got to look at that the last two months, because folks stayed home, even going on the Tom Joyner cruise won’t help me then. If I’m on the cruise, I might jump off.

(Photo Source: WhiteHouse.gov)

41 thoughts on “President Obama Talks Chicago Violence, Post White House Plans & Getting Out The Vote

1. We all know that if President Obama had said, or been accused of saying, or doing 1/10 (tenth) of what Trump has said, and been accused of doing; (Obama) never would have been remotely considered for President.

2. Hillary 2016! As for President Obama some people will never give credit (to him) where credit is due, AND HE’S DONE A LOT. Is Obamacare perfect? No it’s not, and neither was Medicare nor Medicaid perfect when each was lst implemented. Anything new has to get the kinks out. As for the suggestion that he move back to Chicago’s South side….No way! President Obama alone can’t save Chicago. What about the people that have been there all of their lives including MINISTERS, and LIFELONG POLITICIANS…what have they been doing all these years??!! HILLARY 2016

3. Applejack ruler on said:

Please people go on line and find out the truth about this fake ass homosexual and take areal good look as to what he has not done for you just take look at you inter cities,his true legacy is having men on the day they choose can go in to the restroom of their choice with your little girl

4. Obama has done more for people of color than any other president. Listen to his speeches, he gives hints all the time, black folks are too dumb and too brainwashed to see what is in front of their face. If you think that putting Trump in office will make it any better for people of color, you are just as dumb as Europeans assume you to be . What rich white billionaire is going to give the African American community a free hand out? If you can name 3, then I will shut up.

Trumps states that he going to clean up the African American communities to an audience of Europeans…what do you think he is telling his people? If he discriminated against people of color in his housing, and work place…what makes you think he is going to change and give you things now? Think!!! Wake Up!!!

If he is sending Mexicans back to Mexico, what the hell is he going to do with you (black folks)? Can’t go to Africa,…you don’t know where you are from. Jail is over crowded? They killing blacks now and getting away with it, so what do you think Trump is going to do for your community? SMELL THE COFFEE

5. common on said:

I’m not going to be influenced to vote for someone who has racist ties, Hillary admits in her Youtube speech of being a Goldwater girl (look it up) Barry Goldwater was a man who hated Dr. Martin Luther King and fought viciously against civil rights on top of that she labels young black men in inner cities as super predators, God is showing us this woman true colors we need to take heed. Hillary has never immersed herself in any issues for the common good of anything during her 30+years in the political arena and there sure is plenty of issues she could have been a part of. Hillary was racist then, she’s racist now.

6. common on said:

I’m not going to be influenced to vote for someone who has racist ties, Hillary admits in her Youtube speech of being a Goldwater girl (look it up) Barry Goldwater was a man who hated Dr. Marin Luther King and fought viciously against civil rights on top of that she labels young black men in inner cities as super predators, God is showing us this woman true colors we need to take heed. Hillary has never immersed herself in any issues for the common good of anything during her 30+years in the political arena and there sure is plenty she could have been a part of.

• specialt757 on said:

@common
      “I’m not going to be influenced to vote for someone who has racist ties”
      Soooo you won’t be voting for Trump?
      Or did you dismiss the fact that he wouldn’t rent to black and latino “tenants”?
      Did you dismiss that the fact that KKK members endorse him?
      David Duke endorses him? Or are these things not related to being a racist?

7. Trina Kinney Moss on said:

Great interview with the POTUS. Thanks Tom, Sybil, Jay and the crew.I’m calling every registered voterin my family to be certain they are going to vote. May God continue to bless you REAL good.

8. Super Mrs. C. on said:

Things for which people have stood in line, gotten up early,spent too much money, or even endangered themselves!

1. Powerball tickets
    2. Designer sneakers
    3. Concert tickets (The Stones, The Beatles, Prince, Beyonce, The Jackson 5)
    4. The latest i-phone
    5. Sports playoff tickets
    6. Doorbuster sales before and after holidays
    7. Cabbage Patch Dolls
    8. Beanie Babies
    9. Hamilton tickets, Lion King tickets, Prairie Home Companion tickets
    10. A parking spot closer to Ikea
    11. The latest Harry Potter book release
    12. The latest Harry Potter movie premiere
    13. BOGO at DWS
    14. The Clinique “Free gift with Purchase”
    15. The latest Star Wars premiere
    16. Gameboys
    17. Tickle me Elmo
    18. Rides at Disneyworld
    19. The King Tut Exhibit
    20. The Mona Lisa at the National Gallery of Art
    21. Jordache jeans
    22. Barbecued turkey drumsticks at the State Fair
    23. The Filene’s Basement wedding dress sale
    24. Starbucks coffee
    25. The Vermeer Exhibit at the National Gallery of Art
    26. Autographs
    27. Play Station
    28. The best-known bbq spot, pizza spot, sub spot, etc., in your state
    29. Dunkin’ Donuts “cronuts”
    30. The opening of the new “Cake Boss” bakery

Some of those lines may have been “worth it,” some not, but I doubt any of them is/was as consequential as getting in line to vote in this election. Show what’s important to you. NO EXCUSES for letting our President’s legacy down by letting the Republicans take it. Get out, get moving, and get a friend to go with you!

9. Anthony B.... on said:

I wasn’t surprised when those 13 million idiots selected Trump as the nominee but he will NOT find the 190 million votes needed to get into the White House!

• Angela Lee on said:

Hello K,

Search Fred Trump he was arrested in 1927 in Queens along with KKK members. Philip Bump wrote the article for The Washington Post. Feb. 29. 2016.

There is a photo of Trump standing with two people in klan attire as if their are his parents but the photo is fake, so ignore.

The KKK bounced on Trump to ignite their hateful agenda.

Peace!

10. FallMornings on said:

Sure the Latino’s came out in droves to vote. I hope they can vote legally. Illegal immigration hurts white as well as blacks.

11. Sandra Davis on said:

On my soapbox this morning… Please go vote! My time ran out on this video, but I think my point was made. I am very sad that we of all people have to be begged and made to go vote. Trump has already made it clear what his intentions are toward “African Americans.” It’s going to be a sad day or should I say four years. We will go to every events; football games, concerts, parades, tailgates, bar-b-ques, basketball games, etc, but we will not go and vote. The Latino communities showed up and turned out for early voting, because they know what they are up against. Like I said before, it is not the wealthy that will suffer, it’s those that depend on Disability, Food Stamps, Child Care Certificates, HUD Vouchers, Financial Aid, Medicaid, Medicare, Low Income Housing, Low Income Grants, anything subsidized by the Federal Government is at risk of being abolished. I will do my part,, for those that don’t vote, shouldn’t say a word when the shiggady hits the fan. People we have got to make this happen! 🙏🏾✔️💯

12. Mac Ben on said:

Black people are not the priority for ANY president including Obama— only the rich and powerful.

How has your life improved, really, in the last 8yrs?

• Super Mrs. C. on said:

Are you c-razy? Have you been asleep for the past eight years as the Republicans help up any and everything the President wanted? If you believe that Democrats are not better for you than Republicans, then you have let those people own what’s inside your head. Get woke.

13. I would really want to think that Hillary will continue the president’s agenda. But she really won’t know what she can do until she gets into the oval office.

14. What will Hillary do for us? No one has been able to address that question. Kay some of the things not addressed is the skyrocketing cost of ACA in the next couple of months. What does everyone have to say about that???

15. Agnela Lee on said:

Trump is Wall Street. Trump made his money wheeling and dealing with rich people. Trump’s parents were members of the KKK and the group recently endorsed him to become president. So, whose agenda do you think he is going to give his attention? I will tell you, not yours. AND, I am very thankful for President Obama. He did excellent. In 2009, when the President extended unemployment benefits the Republicans called the funds handout. At that time, I had worked every day for 20 years and because I needed my unemployment benefits to live I am now a welfare recipient. Go Blue!!! Under Obama’s leadership, I kept my home, refinance my home, got a better paying job, went back to school and received my bachelor degree, get real. I am out done with the Republicans’ idiotic rhetoric and total disrespect for black people. The Republicans Party has not and will not engage in resolving Black Americans issues. Republicans such as Newt Gingrich, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan and likeminded others are self-preserving men who only care about their political positions. Go Hillary!!!

• Hilary couldn’t protect a small compound in Benghazi and y’all think she is what’s best the country/world. The lesser of two evils is bad for America.

16. I enjoy listening to TJMS in the morning. However, the bias for the President is real and extreme. To keep this 100, the legacy of the last eight years proved how corporate America bought this presidency and his administration. Yes, the stock market improved but how did it help the average black family. The unemployment rate is being ‘reported’ as a decline but the true rate is not being reported (I know lots of educated, black, female, veterans who are unemployed) not favoring black families. The economy, food prices have been increasing although gas prices are down, no one is reporting about that. And let’s talk about how ACA have made health insurance unaffordable for those who had insurance before.
    Voting for Hillary will continue for corporate mis-administration. Now, Donald Trump have said lots of negative things but he is not going to be bought by corporate America like this administration.

17. It’s all over but the shout for our Prez and First Lady.

These seven and a half years have been an AWESOME ride!!!!!!

No doubt President Obama will sit down and write a memoir regarding his time in the WH as the first African American president!!!!!!!!