LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lawyers for a woman who filed a lawsuit accusing NBA star Derrick Rose and two of his friends of rape failed to disclose text messages to the defense, but the lapse was not significant enough to derail the civil trial, a judge ruled Wednesday.
Lawyers for Rose had argued that the plaintiff’s lawyers purposely withheld three texts until the woman finished testifying so the defense couldn’t ask about messages that showed she had been plotting sex on the night in question and, on the following day, was seeking taxi reimbursement and not accusing anyone of rape.
The woman’s lawyers said the texts did not add new information. They claimed they were shared with the defense, though they couldn’t prove it.
U.S. District Court Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald said the accuser’s legal team had failed its legal obligation to share the texts, but there was a “minimal amount of prejudice” against Rose and his friends.
The judge said he would instruct jurors that the texts were disclosed recently and allow defense lawyers to question the accuser about the messages.
“I’m not going to dismiss it now,” Fitzgerald said. “I’m not going to declare a mistrial when we have a jury in the box.”
The woman suing Rose and two friends for $21.5 million claims she was raped while incapacitated three years ago.
Text messages have played a central role in the case, providing a rough chronology and also helping explain what happened at a time when she said she blacked out from drinking and possibly some drug. During that time, she continued sending coherent messages to Rose.
Dr. Ernest Lykissa, a toxicologist hired by the defense, testified that the woman couldn’t have been as drunk as she claimed and been able to text so clearly.
Defense lawyer Mark Baute said the newly revealed text messages were the best evidence the defense had that the woman had filed a false rape claim after being “dumped by texts” from Rose.
During his argument to have the case dismissed, Baute dropped a bombshell by announcing the Los Angeles police detective investigating the case had died the day before.
He said Detective Nadine Hernandez had once told him “there’s no rape case here.”
Hernandez, a 19-year police veteran, died from a gunshot wound to the chest Tuesday in a suspected suicide, police said.
The woman suing Rose appeared shocked by news of the death.
Hernandez had just interviewed the woman at her parents’ Northern California home in the past month, attorney Brandon Anand said.
“She unequivocally stated that a crime had been committed,” Anand said.
A Los Angeles police spokeswoman wouldn’t comment on the death or the investigation, but the department issued a statement saying Hernandez was one of several detectives investigating the allegations and her death wouldn’t impede the probe.
The LAPD said there’s no indication the death was related to any cases Hernandez was investigating.
The detective had not been expected to testify at the civil trial, Anand said.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading No Mistrial In Derrick Rose Case, Police Investigator Commits Suicide