Low Angle View Of Airplane Against Clear Sky

Source: Nazir Azhari Bin Mohd Anis / EyeEm / Getty

A Houston based OB-GYN went viral after she posted her account of a discriminatory incident that took place during a Delta flight on Facebook. Tamika Cross was aboard a plane from Detroit when a passenger became unresponsive. Cross told flight attendants she was a doctor, but the crew refused to let her aid the passenger in need.

Dr. Cross explained she was on DL945 back to Houston when she spotted a passenger a few rows in front of her screaming for help. When Cross volunteered to help, the attendant reportedly told her:

“[O]h no sweetie put ur hand down, we are looking for actual physicians or nurses or some type of medical personnel, we don’t have time to talk to you.”

The passengers were then alerted to press the call button if there was a physician on board. Cross pressed her button and the same flight attendant said, “[O]h wow, you’re an actual physician?”

The attendant then went on demanding her credentials and questioning her experience. Later, a White man stepped up and was asked to help without proving his training. Cross was reportedly told, “Thanks for your help but he can help us, and he has his credentials.”

Even though her assistance was dismissed initially, Cross claims the attendant repeatedly returned to her to ask her questions about the patient’s vitals and blood sugar.

Cross would go on to write, “[The flight attendant] came and apologized to me several times and offering me skymiles. I kindly refused. This is going higher than her. I don’t want skymiles in exchange for blatant discrimination. Whether this was race, age, gender discrimination, it’s not right. She will not get away with this….and I will still get my sky miles.”

After deplaning, Cross’ post exposing the discrimination Black professionals face in public spaces has since went viral.

“I’m sure many of my fellow young, corporate America working women of color can all understand my frustration when I say I’m sick of being disrespected,” Tamika Cross said at the start of her statement.

The post resonated with many Black Americans who have experienced first hand or witnessed this type of blatant discrimination and bias in their own lives. We hope Tamika gets a lot more than those sky miles…we hope she gets justice.

21 thoughts on “Flight Attendant Refused To Let Black Doctor Aid Passenger

1. The Flight Attendant definitely need training on how to assist in emergency situations and she need training in the real world, we do have black doctors in this world. Maybe she was born in 1900 or her ass should go back their if you know what I mean.

2. Hello White Americans…..it’s a very sad day when color matters as a life escapes your bodies my prayer it that you’ll never need a doctor and their color is different from yours. God’s got you Doctors and especially you Dr. Cross. God Continue to Bless

3. Randy Matthews on said:

Thank you Dr Cross for all that you do. Thank you for your professionalism. Thank you for being there in a time of need. Thank you for responding. I was not in that aircraft but if I or any of my family members were in that situation, I would have said let her (you) thru. Proud of you!

4. Denise on said:

Tamika keep your head up and keep on strutting. We have come a long way, BUT we still have a long way to go. I hope the gentleman is ok. You and him need to get together and file a lawsuit. Discrimination and negligence and though not possible ignorance. We need to keep our heads up and not let ignorance tear us down.

5. specialt757 on said:

See this is that bullshit! Just what was it that made this flight attendant dismiss Ms. Tamika and her help? I bet I know. The mere color of her skin. Racism at its best. And save that bullshit it wasn’t about race because when the white man came to assist, he was given carte blanche access the ill man, no questions ask.

6. Barbara Dates on said:

Sue her ass and the airline, because it should have been the patients choice on the doctor treating him/her. Damn motherfuckers ya’ll going to far.

7. Carliece Hart-Urena on said:

Damn shame, we are still dealing with this in 2016!!! Delta should fire her, please file suit against them. Keep doing what you do, you are awesome for your all of your hard work and Achievement. The Man who was ill should also file suit, he could’ve died while she was showing the world who and what she was, IGNORANT. I’m with you, want a helluva lot more than skymiles!!!!!

8. Tamika, I hate to see how they (white people) will play their hand to show their ignorant racism, and what’s funny is that she was just a flight attendant compared to you a doctor! Oh there is nothing wrong with being a flight attendant at all, but how dare you try to belittle a strong black educated sister, when I say they (white people) are intimidated by us, that’s real. My husband is a well known attorney, he had an old white man call him a pimp, because he had on an adidas sweat suit, and my husband didn’t respond, he just said they will never out dignify him, that’s what they want is for us to act a fool when really they are the fools, we cannot let these crackers out dignify us. We are the products of Kings and Queens!!

9. Emmadee on said:

So sorry this happened to you, Tamika…but I’m glad you were channeling FLOTUS…”when they go low, we go high”…! And I certainly hope the sick passenger and his wife appreciate your professionalism and kind heart.

• larry stewart on said:

Read in the Holy Bible {Leviticus 13:30) where it explains the curses that the Most High God prophesied will happen to those who disobeyed His Law of commandments & statutes. {Jeremiah 10:) Explains some of the reasons why some women & men do some of things they do when following other Nations (Heathens) ! Amen!!!

10. STOPTHEKILLINGS on said:

damn shame. I work with a nurse who witnesses an accident off the highway. she secured her baby in the car and went to offer her help, told them she was a nurse. they (the rednecks present) took one look at her and told her we don’t need your help. well ain’t that just nice. I am sure her feelings were hurt as she is a trained, licensed professional who did not have to stop to help they asses and left her baby, and then they talk to her like that. this mess just keeps right on happening. but we hold our heads up daily, we do our jobs, you cannot define us because in the end you will need us and want us to help you when no one else can. BNR!!!!! SAVING LIVES, IT’S WHAT WE DO NO MATTER WHAT THE SKIN COLOR….

11. Ok, she wasn’t good enough to offer her full assistance but you kept coming back to ask questions related to the individual in need….Well ain’t that a blimp!! ##YOURHATECAN’TKEEPMEDOWN

12. Wanda D Shanks on said:

It’s a disgrace why black people go through even if your a professional you actually have to prove it to the other side what you are capable of doing and who you are it’s amazing how this is still in existence in today’s world but without us they would be nothing. Tamika, keep doing the good job that you’re doing in your profession these people will always be in existence but we have to strive above them it doesn’t matter what they think or say, but I know it hurts in the meantime keep doing what you’re doing.