NEW YORK (AP) — Novels by Colson Whitehead and Jacqueline Woodson and a graphic novel by Rep. John Lewis were among the finalists announced Thursday for the National Book Award.
Whitehead’s “The Underground Railroad,” one of the year’s most talked about works even before it was endorsed by Oprah Winfrey for her book club, and Woodson’s “Another Brooklyn,” were cited for fiction. Lewis, the longtime Georgia congressman, is in the young people’s literature category for “March: Book Three,” the last of a trilogy based on his years in the civil rights movement.
From a pool of nearly 1,500 submissions, judging committees chose five books in each of four competitive categories: fiction, nonfiction, poetry and young people’s literature. Winners, each of whom receive $10,000, will be announced Nov. 16 at a benefit dinner ceremony in Manhattan. Honorary medals will be presented to historian Robert Caro and to the Cave Canem writing center.
The finalists were announced by the nonprofit National Book Foundation, which presents the awards. Many of the books explore the country’s history of racism and those who fought it, from Whitehead’s novel about an escaped slave to such nonfiction works as Ibram X. Kendi’s “Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America” and Andres Resendez’s “The Other Slavery: The Uncovered Story of Indian Enslavement in America.”
Longlists of 10 in each category were unveiled last month.
Woodson and nonfiction finalist Viet Thanh Nguyen already are prize-winning authors and have a chance to prevail in new categories. Woodson’s “Brown Girl Dreaming” won the National Book Award in 2014 for young people’s literature. Nguyen, cited Thursday for “Nothing Ever Dies,” won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction last spring for his novel “The Sympathizer.”
Others in the running this year for the National Book Award for fiction were Chris Bachelder for “The Throwback Special,” Paulette Jiles for “News of the World” and Karan Mahajan for “The Association of Small Bombs.”
Nonfiction finalists also included Arlie Russell Hochschild for “Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right” and Heather Ann Thompson for “Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy.”
Besides Lewis and “March” collaborators Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell, the young people’s literature category selections were Kate DiCamillo for “Raymie Nightingale,” Grace Lin for “When the Sea Turned to Silver,” Jason Reynolds for “Ghost” and Nicola Yoon for “The Sun Is Also a Star.”
In poetry, former U.S. poet laureate Rita Dove was chosen for the anthology “Collected Poems 1974-2014.” Other finalists were Daniel Borzutzky for “The Performance of Becoming Human,” Peter Gizzi for “Archeophonics,” Jay Hopler for “The Abridged History of Rainfall” and Solmaz Sharif for “Look.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Rep. John Lewis Is National Book Award Finalist