San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick didn’t mince words Tuesday when he was asked by CNN about the first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.
“To me, it was embarrassing to watch,” he told reporters in a locker room interview. “Both are proven liars and it almost seems like they’re trying to debate who’s less racist.”
Republican presidential candidate Trump has spoken out against Kaepernick’s decision this NFL season to kneel during the national anthem to raise awareness about racial issues, calling his silent protest “a terrible thing.”
“Maybe he should find a country that works better for him, let him try, it won’t happen,” Trump told a conservative Seattle radio talk show last month.
When CNN’s Dan Simon asked about those comments Tuesday, Kaepernick said they are “ignorant,” and dragged Trump’s campaign slogan.
“He always says, ‘Make America great again.’ Well, America has never been great for people of color and that’s something that needs to be addressed. Let’s make America great for the first time.”
What do you think?
The National Anthem - Best & Worst Performances
1. BEST: Jennifer Hudson - Nailed it! 2009 Super Bowl. (Photo: Retna)1 of 15
2. BEST: Whitney Houston - Nailed it! - Super Bowl XXV in 1991 (Photo: AP)2 of 15
3. BEST: Monica Brown - Got It Right! - Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 in 20143 of 15
4. WORST: Christina Aguilera - flubbed the lyrics at Super Bowl 45 in 2011. (Photo: AP)4 of 15
5. BEST: Beyonce - Nailed it! Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004. (Photo: Retna)5 of 15
6. WORST: Keri Hilson met with some major booing after messing up the song at a Lakers game. (Photo: Retna)6 of 15
7. WORST: Steven Tyler - butchered the song at the AFC Championship game in Massachusetts earlier this year. (AP)7 of 15
8. BEST: Mariah Carey - Nailed it! Super Bowl 2002. (AP)8 of 15
9. WORST: Roseanne Barr butchered the song at a 1990 San Diego Padres game, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. (AP)9 of 15
10. BEST: Fergie got some high praise for her performance of the National Anthem for Monday Night Football in September-2011.10 of 15
11. WORST: Michael Bolton had the lyrics written on his hand and still managed to mess up. Fenway Park - 2003. (Photo: AP)11 of 15
12. BEST: Kelly Rowland -Nailed it! Bears vs. Giants in October 2010. (Photo: Retna)12 of 15
13. WORST: R. Kelly was booed by a Las Vegas audience at a boxing match in 2005 for his rendition of the Anthem. (Photo: Retna)13 of 15
14. BEST: Kelly Clarkson - Nailed it! Super Bowl XLVI. (Photo: AP)14 of 15
15. WORST: Scotty McCreery flubbed the lyrics while singing the National Anthem for the World Series in 2011. (Photo: AP)15 of 15
(Photo Source: CNN Screenshot)