Last week’s fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott unveiled the darker side of the charming southern town of Charlotte, North Carolina.
Several days of unrest exacerbated by the city’s lack of transparency in Scott’s shooting death brought forth emotional reactions during a Monday night city council meeting, according to Fox News.
Residents demanded the resignation of Mayor Jennifer Roberts and Police Chief Kerr Putney, who they say mishandled the public’s concerns in Scott’s shooting death investigation.
“It’s going to be rough in these streets until you give justice to our people,” said Rev. Milton Williams, who spoke during the three-hour meeting. “Our city’s in an uproar, and you did not respond.”
Zianna Oliphant, a young Charlotte girl, also spoke at the meeting and powerfully expressed anguish over racial inequality. With her braids pulled back and tears streaming down her face, she announced Monday, according to CBS News: “It’s a shame that our fathers and brothers are killed and we can’t see them anymore. It’s a shame that we have to go through that graveyard and bury him. We need our fathers and brothers to be by our side.”
Scott’s death is the second high-profile police-involved shooting centralized to the Charlotte community within the past three years. Jonathan Ferrell, an unarmed Florida A&M football player, was fatally shot 10 times by Charlotte police in 2013 after seeking help when he was in a car accident.
Scott’s shooting, coupled with the recent deaths of young men and women at the hands of police in Oklahoma, Minnesota, Louisiana, and countless other states, reveals the stain of racism on the fabric of the nation.
Charlotte presents a dynamic of extreme wealth juxtaposed against extreme poverty, where residents feel ignored and displaced. The downtown area, a mix of high-rise corporate buildings and affordable housing, highlights two separate experiences in the Queen City.
Jibril Hough, a local activist who organized peaceful protests after Ferrell’s shooting death, says it time to dispel the warm, welcoming aura Charlotte presents.
“When people come into town, they see nice, shiny buildings. But when it comes to working-class people, they don’t put pressure on these businesses to say what are you going to do for the working class,” Hough said.
Rev. William Barber, head of Charlotte’s NAACP chapter, told Fox News that Charlotte’s deficits weren’t created in a vacuum. Until community leaders resolve to work on the underlying issues, including racial inequality and economic freedom, these incidents will continue to happen.
“The type of riots we are seeing in Charlotte is a systemic response for people who are drowning in injustice,” he said.
SOURCE: Fox News, CBS News | PHOTO CREDIT: NBC Screenshot
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31