(Editor’s note: The video contains graphic images and explicit language.)
NBC News obtained exclusive footage showing the moments leading up to Keith Lamont Scott’s shooting and the tumultuous aftermath. Scott’s wife, Rakeyia, captured the footage, the outlet reports.
What the video does not show is the exact moment Scott is shot on Tuesday by Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers, but you can hear four shots fired in the background. The video is 2:12 minutes long and shot from a distance.
“Don’t shoot him. Don’t shoot him. He has no weapon!” Rakeyia yells towards officers as they surround her husband’s vehicle. An officer then yells, “Drop the gun!”
“He doesn’t have a gun, he has a TBI (traumatic brain injury). He’s not going to do anything,” Rakeyia says. She moves closer to the scene, but stays on the grass behind the tense confrontation.
“Keith don’t let them break the windows. Come on out the car!” she pleads with her husband.
“Drop the gun!” the officer yells again.
“Keith! Don’t do it,” Rakeyia yells. A loud pop goes off in the distance.
“Keith! Keith! Don’t you do it! Don’t you do it!”
Four gunshots are fired. Scott rushes closer screaming, “Did you shoot him? Did you shoot him? He better not be f——- dead! He better not be f—— dead!”
Officers yell for Scott’s wife to back up while she quickly makes a call to 911 to report the shooting. “He better live, because he didn’t do nothing to them,” she says over the phone.
Scott lies face down on the pavement, not moving as his wife makes the call.
“Did y’all call the ambulance?” she asks the cops as the video ends.
NBC obtained the video amid divergent accounts from law enforcement and Scott’s family. The CMPD maintains Scott was armed and refused to comply with police, while Scott’s family says he was holding a book at the time of the shooting.
Officer Brentley Vinson, who fired the fatal shot, was in plainclothes and did not record the encounter on a body camera. Three other officers captured the incident on body cameras and there is dash cam footage, according to Police Chief Kerr Putney. Scott’s family viewed separate police dash cam footage on Thursday and afterwards called for officials to publicly release the video.
Putney said he would not release the dash cam video because he believes the footage would damage the investigation. At a Friday morning presser, he said the case was turned over to the State Bureau of Investigation, which would make the final call on whether the video will made public.
Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts said she wants to be transparent to reporters on Friday. “I do believe the video should be released,” Roberts said. “The question is on the timing.”
Protesters have continued to rally in the streets of downtown Charlotte, calling for justice in Scott’s death. Thursday evening protests were largely peaceful after two days of unrest as demonstrations turned violent. Police at several points deployed tear gas and fired rubber bullets at protesters.
SOURCE: NBC News, YouTube | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31