WASHINGTON (AP) — No score results yet, but students didn’t seem to be scared off by the new version of the SAT college entrance exam.
The College Board, the nonprofit organization that owns the SAT, said Tuesday that nearly 1.4 million high schoolers took the newly redesigned SAT between March and June of this year. The board says that’s up about 180,000 test takers over the same period last spring.
The new version of the test — with more of a focus on real-world vocabulary and learning — debuted in March. Some college advisers were a little cautious about encouraging students to take the debut test since it had a new format and wasn’t as familiar to students.
The College Board says it won’t release average score results for the new SAT until next fall when it has a full year of data on graduating seniors for the 2016-2017 school year. The board says most 2016 graduating seniors, 90 percent, took the old SAT before its final run earlier this year.
In the report released Tuesday, average scores for the 2016 class of seniors for the old SAT exam showed slight declines across all sections. The scores for graduating 2016 seniors were only reported through January of this year, when the old version of the SAT was last administered.
For seniors, the mean reading score was 494 out of 800 possible points. That compares to a mean score of 497 in reading for the class of 2015, over the same period of time, through January 2015.
Math showed another slight dip. The mean score was 508 for the 2016 senior class, compared to 512 in the previous year.
And in writing, the mean score was 482, compared to 487 in the previous year. The top score in math and writing was also 800.
Cyndie Schmeiser, chief of assessment for the College Board, says the pool of SAT takers has increased so we have a bigger and more diverse group of students taking the test.
“What we do know is that in past years more and more districts have been offering the SAT to their students for free during the school day and this has resulted in a broader spectrum of preparation among the test takers,” said Schmeiser, in a call with reporters.
The College Board made substantial changes in its redesign of the SAT. The exam still tests critical reading and math skills, but the essay portion is now optional. The redesign focuses more on areas of math that matter most for college and career readiness and shifts away from obscure vocabulary words that don’t typically find their way into most high school or college classrooms.
On the new SAT, there’s no longer a penalty for guessing on a question. And, the top score goes back to 1,600 with a separate score for the essay, compared with the previous test’s total of 2,400 — 800 points for each of the three categories.
Also new in the 2015-2016 school year: more tests from the College Board.
The board began offering the new PSAT 8/9, geared to 8th and 9th graders, in the fall of last year. And this spring, it debuted the PSAT 10, aimed at 10th graders.
The PSAT/NMSQT test, used to assess student performance and as a qualifier for National Merit Scholarships, also was redesigned and first administered last fall. About 42 percent of 11th graders taking that test met the board’s college and career readiness benchmark for the exam.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂