COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A 13-year-old Ohio boy fatally shot by a police officer investigating a report of an armed robbery was remembered at his funeral Saturday as someone with a special glow.
“He lit up a room. He demanded your attention,” said Michael Bell, who coached Tyre King on his youth football team.
Hundreds of mourners filed by a white casket draped with yellow roses at a Columbus church before a hearse carried the boy’s body to a cemetery where he was laid to rest, The Columbus Dispatch reported.
Columbus police officer Bryan Mason, a member of the department for almost 10 years, shot Tyre, multiple times on Sept. 14 after the boy ran from investigators and pulled out a BB gun that looked like a real firearm, police have said.
Mason, who is white, was put on administrative leave immediately after the shooting — standard procedure after police shootings.
The boy’s death has inflamed tensions over the safety of blacks in Ohio’s largest city and adds to a list of killings of black males by police that are attracting national attention.
Another funeral was scheduled Saturday night in Oklahoma for 40-year-old Terence Crutcher, who was shot and killed by a Tulsa police officer on Sept. 16. The officer was charged with manslaughter in the shooting of Crutcher, who was unarmed.
In Columbus, attorneys for the Tyre’s family have called for an independent investigation and have questioned Mason’s involvement in other shootings, including another fatality.
The head of the local police union has said Mason did what he was trained to do under the circumstances.
Evidence in the shooting investigation will be presented to a grand jury to determine if the officer’s actions were justified or charges are warranted.
Tyre was in eighth grade, played sports and was in a young scholars program, the family’s attorneys said.
Benita Farve, pastor of the King family’s church, said during the eulogy that the community needed make changes to help a generation of kids who are totally out of control.”
“How long are we going to let pain and anger control us? How long are we going to be the victims?” she said. “When are things going to change and we’re going to be victors?”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Hundreds At Funeral For Ohio boy, 13, Fatally Shot By Police