NEW YORK (AP) — Brangelina is no more. Angelina Jolie Pitt has filed for divorce from Brad Pitt, bringing an end to one of the world’s most star-studded, tabloid headline-generating romances.
Jolie Pitt cited “irreconcilable difference” in divorce papers filed Monday in Los Angeles. She is seeking physical custody of their six children, with visitation rights for Pitt.
An attorney for Jolie Pitt, Robert Offer, said Tuesday that Jolie Pitt’s decision to divorce was made “for the health of the family.” The filing dated the couple’s separation as last Thursday.
Though together for 12 years, Pitt and Jolie Pitt only wed in August 2014. They married privately in the French hamlet of Correns in Provence with their children serving as ring bearers and throwing flower petals. They announced the ceremony days later.
Their children are: 15-year-old Maddox, 12-year-old Pax, 11-year-old Zahara, 10-year-old Shiloh, and 8-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne.
This is the second marriage for Pitt, who previously wed Jennifer Aniston. It’s the third for Jolie Pitt, who was previously married to Billy Bob Thornton and Jonny Lee Miller.
Their initial romance sparked a tabloid avalanche unlikely any in recent memory. Pitt and Jolie became close while filming 2005’s “Mr. and Mrs. Smith,” prompting widespread speculation — consistently denied by couple — that Jolie prompted Pitt’s divorce from Aniston. Pitt and Aniston announced their separation in January 2005.
But after the media upheaval, Jolie Pitt and Pitt settled into their own unique kind of globe-trotting domesticity.
The pair adopted children from Cambodia, Vietnam and Ethiopia. And they sought to direct the glare of their celebrity toward other causes. Jolie Pitt, a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations, became an outspoken voice for refugees and various causes in Africa, as well as for breast cancer treatment after undergoing a double mastectomy.
Jolie Pitt also launched herself as a film director. Last year, the couple starred together in her “By the Sea,” playing a glamorous couple vacationing together in France while their marriage was on the rocks. It made a mere $538,000 at the box office.
In a 2014 interview with The Associated Press, Jolie Pitt said playing a couple with marital problems was cathartic.
“It almost makes you get past those issues because you can laugh at them,” Jolie Pitt said. “You do a film about bad marriage and you witness that behavior. You study it, you let it out, you attack each other and then you just want to hold each other and make sure you never behave that way.”
We Tried To Make It Work: Divorced Celebs
1. Mike EppsSource:PR Photos 1 of 16
2. Dwayne WadeSource:PR 2 of 16
3. Kimora Lee Simmons and Djimon Honsou3 of 16
4. Usher and Tameka Raymond were once married...but as we know, it didn't work out.4 of 16
5. Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey5 of 16
6. Mashonda Tifrere was once married to Swizz Beatz.6 of 16
7. Wiz Khalifa and Amber Rose7 of 16
8. Kimora and Russell Simmons8 of 16
9. Janet Jackson has been divorced...twice.Source:AP) 9 of 16
10. 'All My Children' star and current guest star on 'Power' Debbi Morgan has been married...and divorced four times.10 of 16
11. Eric Benet was married to and divorced from Halle Berry. Now they are both married to other people.11 of 16
12. Lisa Bonet and Lenny Kravitz were once husband and wife.12 of 16
13. And we thought it would last - Evelyn Lozada and Ocho Cinco.13 of 16
14. Yup, Shaunie really was a basketball wife, she was married to Shaquille O'Neal.14 of 16
15. Allen and Tawanna Iverson are legally divorced, but have apparently reconciled, although they haven't remarried.15 of 16
16. Not quite divorced yet, but the papers have been filed and it's been finalized...but will Khloe and Lamar go through with it?16 of 16
(Photo Source: PR Photos)