Soledad O’Brien’s Twitter feed was bombarded by angry Donald Trump fans Monday after she appeared on her old network to discuss the media’s coverage of the 2016 presidential campaign, and accused cable news in particular of promoting his hate speech for ratings, reports TV Newser.
“If there’s any lesson to be learned, it’s, ‘Wow, over-the-top hateful speech brings a really interested angry audience, this is genius, we should do this more often,’” said the former CNN anchor, echoing what she believes is the thought process inside many newsrooms.
O’Brien said news execs will “have to figure out a way to rile people up and make them angry because that’s something that cable news can cover really well.”
“I find it very frustrating,” she said. “I believe he was over-covered at the beginning, but now it is ‘he said she said’ all the time. We have lost context. We just cover the back and forth of it.”
After the segment aired, O’Brien got a personal taste of the hate speech she spoke of, courtesy of Trump’s supporters on Twitter.
“So far this morning I’ve been called a c**t, a b**ch and a whore by the good folks on twitter! (And it’s 730 am) Happy Labor Day everybody!!” she tweeted Monday.
What do you think?
Politicians Say the Dumbest Stuff
1. 1. Our enemies never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we. Yep, George W. AP1 of 16
2. 2. Romney on immigration: The answer is self-deportation, which is people decide they can do better by going home. (AP)2 of 16
3. 3. Representative Todd Akin: Legitimate rapes rarely result in pregnancy. Huh? (Photo: AP)3 of 16
4. 4. Bachmann: I don't know where they're going to get all this money because we're running out of rich people in this country.4 of 16
5. 5. Rick Santorum on education: President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob! WHAT??? (AP)5 of 16
6. 6. George Dubya: "Do you have blacks, too?" he asked Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso in November of 2001. (AP)6 of 16
7. 7. Newt Gingrich in reference to the Occupy Wall Street protesters: 'Go get a job after you take a bath' (AP)7 of 16
8. 8. "If a US President ever lied to the American people he should resign." - Bill Clinton running for US Representative in 1974.8 of 16
9. 9. Arnold Schwarzenegger: I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman. (AP)9 of 16
10. 10. "You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test." George Bush in 2001 in Tennessee. (AP)10 of 16
11. 11. Michelle Bachmann: Lady Liberty and Sarah Palin are lit by the same torch. (AP)11 of 16
12. 12. "All of 'em, any of'em that have been in front of me over all these years. Palin unable to name a paper or mag she's read.12 of 16
13. 13. Dubya: Too many OB/GYN’s aren’t able to practice their love with women all across the country. (AP)13 of 16
14. 14. When I was in England I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale. - Bill Clinton14 of 16
15. 15. Mitt & Ann Romney, the family vacation: Our dog loved riding on top of the car in a crate for 12 hours (AP)15 of 16
16. 16. You Betcha! Sarah Palin: You can actually see Russia, from land, here in Alaska. (AP)16 of 16
(Photo Source: CNN Screenshot)