8/29/16- Roland Martin talks to Dr. Jason Johnson about Colin Kaepernick‘s decision to not stand during the National Anthem and the history of the song’s racist history.

“There is a third lyric that is often not seen. It’s basically a diss track against African Americans who left slavery and joined the British to fight. Any African American has a right to not stand because it’s essentially a song that forces people to stay oppressed,” Johnson said.

Click the link above to hear the entire interview.

40 thoughts on “Revealing The National Anthem’s Racist History

1. mrknowitall on said:

Hey Roland pot roast Martin there were no African Americans back then because the 14th amendment was’nt ratified until July 9th 1868. You sound like a typical affirmative action college graduate like Melissa Perry and many other black and biracial racist. Slavery would not have existed if not for black African Muslims capturing black African people. The first slave master was a black African Muslim, the first whip cracker, the first rapist, the first pedophile rapist, the first homosexual rapist was by a black African Muslim. It’s been said your president comes from a family of black Muslim slave catchers. The best thing that could have happened to African slaves is they were sent to the new world which became America. Black racism is destroying black people with hand-me-down hate generational racism towards European people. The most racist bigots in the United States today are black people. Your Glass isn’t half empty, it’s overflowing but you were taught not to see it buy black racist bigots like yourself

• @mrknowitall & Kates 1221: I am not a “racist” I try to treat “EVERYONE” fair. You don’t know how you sound with this ammendment crap. People of color have been around since “Creation!” White people invented this “Racist” form of thinking. People have been in Slavery way before american/european slavery existed. According to the christian bible, slavery was already going on. If white folks would have not tried to be so damn greedy trying to take over the world by rapping & robbing other countries for their people & their resources/wealth, there might not be any “UGLY” american/european slavery. Only the types of slavery that existed in those countries. And these same folks who believe in god, where committing these authorities across the world. Such HYPOCRISY! People of color have the right to say what needs to be said about “ANYTHING” that was “FORCED” upon them by people who feel “Entitled/Previledged” to everything because they are white. I would suggest that ya’ll go back & get “re-educated” about your history & the history of others before you speak on someone elses. Bettet yet, get “EDUCATED” anout life! And based on what you are saying, sounds to me that Blacks were here on earth before caucasians/neanderthals….Interesting

• Bible Thumpers. Can’t live with em’, can’t kill “em. If you want to see, hear and listen to bat s**t cray-cray up close and personal, go to church.

2. According to the historian Robin Blackburn, the words “the hireling and slave” allude to the fact that the British attackers had many ex-slaves in their ranks, who had been promised liberty and demanded to be placed in the battle line “where they might expect to meet their former masters.”[7]

3. Sheila on said:

Haven’t stood for the National Anthem since I was 13 yrs old; for the VERY SAME REASON!!
    Better late than never; WELCOME to the club!!

4. The third verse refers to the hirelings and slaves of G.B. The hirelings were German soldiers called Hessians named after a city that a majority of them were from. The slaves were the British men sent to fight in place of a rich english man or who were indentured servants who had to fight for their owner.

• This world is completely crazy. Yes master today, but your master wants you to fight/kill other masters. This world needs an enema!

• So when Key penned “No refuge could save the hireling and slave / From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,” he was taking great satisfaction in the death of slaves who’d freed themselves. His perspective may have been affected by the fact he owned several slaves himself.

With that in mind, think again about the next two lines: “And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave / O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

The reality is that there were human beings fighting for freedom with incredible bravery during the War of 1812. However, “The Star-Spangled Banner” glorifies America’s “triumph” over them — and then turns that reality completely upside down, transforming their killers into the courageous freedom fighters.

After the U.S. and the British signed a peace treaty at the end of 1814, the U.S. government demanded the return of American “property,” which by that point numbered about 6,000 people. The British refused. Most of the 6,000 eventually settled in Canada, with some going to Trinidad, where their descendants are still known as “Merikins.”

5. Madison on said:

People who don’t like the truth always find a way to say history is being manipulated. These are the same people that think Columbus discovered America. When we challenge America people get Scared. The national anthem doesn’t represent Black America

• Everyone knows Columbus didn’t discover America. You the reason it’s called United States of America not United States of Columbus.

6. Allyson on said:

Why the public scrutiny on Colin at this very time! To take the attention away from Lochte and get him ready to re-enter as America’s olympic hero! This is not Colin’s first time sitting for the anthem but like a shark, they wait for the right time to prey on their victim! Today Colin tomorrow someone else! End injustice!

7. Terrel D. Parris on said:

T.D. Parris. Always knew the National Anthem was a war song but did not know the history of the song that was explained today. Thanks for the history lesson.

8. White people always critize when blacks don’t fall in line and go along with their hypocrisy. It makes them feel better to always make blacks seem like the bad guy. I struggle is real. You don’t understand what you don’t experience.

9. ButterPecan on said:

I support Colin!! When a person puts himself before his job, his endorsements to stand up (or sit down) for what he believes in, I can respect that! I never stand for it either. I always had a problem with that “liberty and justice for all” part. It’s his Constitutional right. He can express any way he wants.

• lol really? Fact checking from the dead Briebart blog for your journalistic read?….what happened, you couldn’t find a source in the Enquirer? lol…whew thanks for the laugh…lmao

• Oh forgive me!! I guess some hack Professor that manipulates history to
        serve the minions should take president

• @jhuf…little guy you quote the same company who subscribers believe Elvis is still alive and the government has him hidden…not to mention GWB was the greatest economic president we ever have…lol…I guess they somehow forgot about the recession? Talk about manipulating history…lol

Thanks again 4 the humor!

10. Honestly,in America who can talk about Racism without hypocrisy?) Personally as anexperimented freemind, I typically found myself on that eccentric track. Infact, do not talk about it by falseness. Impartially, I may understand that mostexpressions are not easy to let be heard but unfortunately we living with thembecause they are around us since then and still. As a matter of fact, racism isborn among the heartless folks, and the naive minds absorb it; subsequently,‘’Mississippi is still burning through so many places because any one doesn’treach the right extinguishing-pot yet, and it cannot be bought but buildthrough the minds and of course with an example behavior’’ we must worktogether as one to brush it off for a better world. Therefore, never remind theArthur de Gobineau days… That’s thereason why my greatest wish to share with the whole concerned of thetwenty-first century is: ‘’ I hope one day the Common Sense will become asubject to be taught in schools. ” Versaint

11. Thank you Dr. Johnson for this history lesson. I actually like the words to the SSB and never knew the whole history especially about the Brits and the freed slaves. This definitely gives me food for thought. It’s going to be hard to hear that song without thinking about it.

12. Michael Williams on said:

I graduated high school in 60s, ran track. I would stand,but not face the flag, not sing the anthem, put right hand in pocket. My white teammates noticed but never said anything. They knew the deal.Most blacks conformed, we never discussed it. Wish I knew what I know now. We must support Colin.

13. I stopped standing during the National Anthem when I was still in high school.

I refused to stand or to place my hand over my heart!!!!
    Francis Scott Key was a POS and so it that anthem.