Michael Sam is flying into Dallas on Tuesday night and will take a physical for the Cowboys on Wednesday, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. If he passes his physical, the Cowboys intend to sign him to their practice squad, the source said.
Sam, who is seeking to become the first openly gay athlete to play in the NFL, was cut by the St. Louis Rams on Saturday despite having a solid preseason – coming up with 11 tackles and three sacks. In Thursday night’s preseason finale against Miami, Sam had a team-high six tackles.
Sam cleared waivers Sunday and is free to sign with any team. According to NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, the Cowboys spent the day calling several players and gauging their reactions to signing Sam, and apparently, no one had a problem.
The Rams spent a seventh-round draft pick, No. 249 overall, on Sam in May’s draft. The team finalized their 10-player practice squad on Monday, and it did not include Sam. Coach Jeff Fisher had suggested that a lack of bodies at positions with little depth could leave the defensive end on the outside looking in when the team added to that unit.
The Cowboys now have 10 players on the practice squad, meaning they would have to release one to make room for Sam.
1. WNBA star Glory JohnsonSource:AP 1 of 16
2. College basketball star Derrick Gordon announced he was gay on Instagram on April 9, 2014.Source:Instagram 2 of 16
3. College Football star Michael Sam3 of 16
4. Former WNBA player Sheryl Swoopes4 of 16
5. NBA player Jason Collins5 of 16
6. WNBA player Brittney Griner6 of 16
7. Former NBA player John Amaechi7 of 16
8. Legendary Tennis player Billie Jean King8 of 16
9. Boxer Orlando Cruz9 of 16
10. Former NFL player Kwame Harris10 of 16
11. Former Olympic diver Greg Louganis11 of 16
12. Former MLB outfielder Glenn Burke12 of 16
13. Former Tennis star Martina Navratalova13 of 16
14. Former Soccer player Justin Fashanu14 of 16
15. Esera Tuaolo15 of 16
16. Megan Rapinoe16 of 16
(Photo Source: AP)